Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

305 Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Rs Camaro
Engine: Stock 5.0L 305 in need of some love
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock
305 Tune up

Finally taking the time and money to get my 305 running worth a crap now. heres my plan. Going to replace spark plugs, wires, distributer, alternator, take out ac compressor (ac is shot anyway) replace with a delete pulley, new gaskets on everything, new belts, , fuel pump/filter and new brake booster and master cylinder.... did i forget anything?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: 305 Tune up

I wouldn't touch the brake booster, the master cylinder, or the fuel pump unless you are having issues.

If you are getting fuel, then the pump is fine - they either work or they don't.

Brakes - spend cash on new rubber lines - there are 3, 2 front and one rear - makes a great great difference in stopping power. Do pads also if needed.

Wouldn't do a complete distributor either - just a cap/rotor. Might replace the ignition control module inside the distributor if you like - they do go out on occasion.

Definitely wires, plugs. Vacuum lines that are worn/cracked need replaced.

That will save you $200 - $300, and get you finished in an afternoon rather than a weekend!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Need a new booster, its gone i have no vacuum on the brakes. (on the plus side ive gotten in iron leg getting use to having to braking support)
And im guessing the fuel pumps about to go. it almost wants to die. unless i floor it then it sputters almost dies and goes like a bat out of hell after that. or would that be the filter/ line clogged somewere. was planning on replacing the whole starter and ingnition system. previous owner has "something" rigged i havent seen before but its now a push start and that seems to want to die. it wont crank unless i finger "****" the button until it lights off. hadnt thought about rubber brake lines, do you have a good recomendation for some?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Need a new booster, its gone i have no vacuum on the brakes. (on the plus side ive gotten in iron leg getting use to having to braking support)
And im guessing the fuel pumps about to go. it almost wants to die. unless i floor it then it sputters almost dies and goes like a bat out of hell after that. or would that be the filter/ line clogged somewere. was planning on replacing the whole starter and ingnition system. previous owner has "something" rigged i havent seen before but its now a push start and that seems to want to die. it wont crank unless i finger "****" the button until it lights off. hadnt thought about rubber brake lines, do you have a good recomendation for some?