Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Camaro wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 v8 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Camaro wont start!

To start out I have a 1991 Camaro rs with the 305 tbi v8 and automatic transmission. My problem is that the car has been starting and running fine but when I would turn it off it wouldn't start back up right away. At first I thought it was heat soak because I would jus pop the hood let the starter cool off then it would start right back up after 5-10 min. Now I will drive the car for 10 min (engine barely gets hot) and it won't start, takes 45+ min! I was told it could be the starter selenoid going bad or have bad connection. Please help, any help greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Re: Camaro wont start!

Also every once in awhile it will start right after I turn it off? So confused!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

If the starter is turning but the car is not firing, I'd look at the ignition module located in the distributor under the rotor - about $45.

If the starter doesn't even turn, then I'd look at http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=38
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM

The starter wont even turn when it doesnt want to start, so thanx for the link! Ill keep you updated if things change.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Does anyone else have any input on what they think it could be? ive been told the battery terminals, the VATS, starter relay, starter selonoid. What is the most common problem with these cars to cause this???
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Car: '92 Camaro
Engine: 350 TPI

Having a similar issue and am also following along with this thread and any answers given, hope you find some help and the answer 91'CamRS!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by 91'CamRS
Does anyone else have any input on what they think it could be? ive been told the battery terminals, the VATS, starter relay, starter selonoid. What is the most common problem with these cars to cause this???
Check your vats in it, and check to make sure that all connections to the starter are good and not touching anything. and make sure that everything is grounded properly. Get a multimeter and check you starter relay(located behind front driver kicker panel) Put it to check volts. Put the positive lead in a yellow wire and negative lead to a good ground. once you do this hold it there and turn the key to and it should read 12v on both yellow wires. Then check the little green wire, mine came out to .8v i think. after that if it is all good go to the neutral safety switch located at the shifter and check resistance with the ohm meter and check the last wire on the starter relay that you havent checked for resistance. if thats good and all wires come out good, then you can try pulling the purple wire off of the neutral safety switch and touching it the wire that is connected with it on the neutral switch and try to turn it over like that. sounds to me like something is shorting out so I am just giving you the path that it takes once it is inside the car. GL.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM

well today i lifted the car to look at the starter. everything was corroded and rusted. i tried to get the terminals off to clean them and jus doing that, one of the bolts on the selonoid broke. so we took off the whole starter and decided to replace it anyways, i should have it on tomorrow along with a new radiator fan switch that was old and broke when inspecting (been having problems with a fan to). also cleaned up all the terminals so there should be better connection now, WAY better connection! they were pretty bad. im not sure if that will fix the problem, if not then we are going to look at the relay. also while looking at the starter i noticed there were four red wires (one thinck and three thinner), a thick black wire, and a purple. i know the thick red is positive, black is ground but does the purple go to the starter relay? also what could the other three red wires go to??? thanx for the advice to oif0709! much appreciated! probably will try that next! also what do you guys think about heat wrapping the starter or getting a heat shield, im considering both!

Last edited by 91'CamRS; 09-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by racethesunlive
Having a similar issue and am also following along with this thread and any answers given, hope you find some help and the answer 91'CamRS!
I hope you can solve your problem to! Its a pain to drive somewhere then not be able to start your car! i will let you know everything i do and keep you updated!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 PM

The three red wires are all fusible links. One goes to the alternator, the other goes to the ignition switch. The one going to the ignition switch is actually only one wire that branches off to 2 at the starter. Purple goes straight to the neutral safety switch. Not sure about the black wire as mine does not have one going to it, my starter has itself ground out from the manufacture. As to the heat shield or heat wrapping it, Thats all on preference. Unless you have a custom exhaust where the pipes are right on it and you have a really old starter then I would put that much effort into. My starter is about a year old and I havent put a wrap or a shield on any of mine and i have never had a problem with them.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by oif0709
The three red wires are all fusible links. One goes to the alternator, the other goes to the ignition switch. The one going to the ignition switch is actually only one wire that branches off to 2 at the starter. Purple goes straight to the neutral safety switch. Not sure about the black wire as mine does not have one going to it, my starter has itself ground out from the manufacture. As to the heat shield or heat wrapping it, Thats all on preference. Unless you have a custom exhaust where the pipes are right on it and you have a really old starter then I would put that much effort into. My starter is about a year old and I havent put a wrap or a shield on any of mine and i have never had a problem with them.
Ok thank you. I was a little confused where they all went to. I decided not to heat wrap or put a heat shield also.

Last edited by 91'CamRS; 09-16-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:05 PM

Well yesterday i got a new starter. We cleaned up all the connections on the wires and made sure there was no corrosion or rust. We put the starter in and it works better than the old one! Im hoping that was my only problem, a bad starter and connections, but since then i have been driving every where and it starts right back up no problems so far! I just have one more question, not to sure if its an issue or just normal, but the security light flickers as does the INFL light when i turn the key to start it. Once the car is running they turn right off. Other than that everything is fine! I know the INFL is airbag what could the security be and is it an issue? Or is the computer jus "booting" everything up? Thanks and i will keep posted if other problems occur!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 PM

The security light blinking is your vats system. If you bypass your vats then you wont have to worry about it blinking anymore like that. Yes it could cause it not to start unless you go through and bypass it. If you need to no how to bypass it there a lot of forums here about that. Glad you fixd your issue though.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Car: 89 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: V8-305 5.0L

I had a similar issue, my camaro would start up most of the time but occasionally it would just not crank at all (usually on rainy or humid days, or after I would get my car washed). Found this forum and thought it had to be a wire connection or relay (I've already had my VATS bypassed and I just got a new starter), but it turns out my ignition control module was damp! Trying to pass emissions as well (after replacing catalytic convert and egr valve) so I think this is the main problem. I'm new to owning a camaro and don't have a lot of experience with cars yet so this might be a no brainer to most of you, but I thought maybe it could help someone to check the control module for dampness if you are having this problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I have the same car. And i had the same problem, It was my fuel pump slowly dying and it finally quit. replaced the pump and has ran fine since!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Could also be VATS i had an issue with it but it hasnt done it in months. (knocking on wood) lol
Old 03-14-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Pontiac Firebird 89
Engine: 2.8l V6 MPFI
Transmission: manual

Hello,

Do you also know where i need to look if the car is firing while cranking, but stops immediately after you stop cranking?
I have 12 volts on the system if the key is in the run position.

Thanks in advanced!