Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

My project from hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: My project from hell

Just to put this info out there, the O2 sensor circuit from the ECM should read about 450 milivolts with the sensor unplugged. That's the mean circuit voltage from the ECM. Zero volts from the ECM would mean that the diagnostic circuit for the O2, or the circuit(purple wire) is open, or that the connection at the ECM is open.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

alright cool good to know. And I do have a remanned jasper?? what compression test are you talking about?
My car's in the shop again, having the fuel system checked out because I still don't like how its running. once I get it back though? I'll be looking for that o2 wire again.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fervernt
Well I solved my problem... Took a remanned Jasper engine though. turned out that surging and dying was because of a hole in the piston. compression on the #5 cyl was at 60. So that's taken care of now lol. Not proud of having to take it to a shop, but I'm glad I did. Would have spent a good chunk of time and frustration trying other stuff that wouldn't have worked at all. Trying to trace down a couple other gremlins now. This one I'm a little confused about. The code 13 I've been having trouble with has been bugging me. I was thinking I would get a heated o2, but I wanted to test the wire to the sensor 1st. for some reason, when I probed the wire, it gave me 12.4 volts? If I understand it though, that wire is only supposed to have .3-.6 volts. Any thoughts there? I'm thinking bad ecm. anyone else ever seen this?

This is what i was talking about. And it was in response to someone who posted, then deleted their post. So that's why my comment looks so weird.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM

oh alright. I guess I never saw that post you were responding to. that's why I was confused. So here's another question. Does anyone have a pic of the wire to the o2 sensor? and the plug that goes to it? I've still got my fingers crossed that it's just hangin out somewhere on the driver's side and I'm just missing it. Also, I noticed something strange, if I understand how it works. The sensor that goes into the head on the pass side is the fan switch, yes? There's nothing plugged into that switch, yet my fans come on and off like they should? how is that possible. I thought they needed coolant temp to know when to turn on and off. The sending unit for the temp gauge is gone, the fan switch has no wire to it. Where else could the fans be getting a temp from? I'll track it down sooner or later, but if anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM

the fans are controlled by the pcm, at specific temperatures. the secondary also can come on if the ac is on. And then there is the saftey switch at the back of the passenger side head. single wire. The PCM coolant temp sensor is usually found right infront of the intake manifold where it meets the block. The GAUGE sensor is in the drivers side head between plugs 1 and 3. single wire also. V8tpi 's. Im working on one of my cars today, ill take a pic of where the o2 sensor is and post it up in about a hour or so.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM

ok so it must just be the safety switch that isn't plugged in. Any idea on what color that wire is?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM

Here you go, Thats where the o2 is.

Edit :sorry it took so long, was re-doing my speedo cable today. Now i remember why i hate stock f bodies.
Attached Thumbnails My project from hell-1.jpg  

Last edited by TwinTurboROC; 04-27-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: I have the mental capacity of a dirt. Yes a dirt.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM

alright so here's a quick update and a couple more questions. Finally got my car back from the shop having the fuel pump done. Twice. 1st one whined like crazy, so I took it back for warranty. 2nd one is the same. It's driving me nuts. but I think it's something else going on. It was whining til I filled it up again, and then stopped like a switch. Always happens on hot days, so unfortunately I think I've got that problem so many of us have with the fuel overheating. any new thoughts or solutions that people have found would be great, but if not, I'll just be trying everything already suggested. the fuel lines were rerouted already far away from the headers, and were cool to the touch. headers are heat-wrapped, and tank still has heat shield. next thing I'm gonna try is taking the car into a dealer for that recall. I qualify and do have a crack in the filler neck so a new tank will be nice, and may solve the problem.
and, on a separate topic, is the o2 sensor wire located in the same loom as the wire that controls the temp gauge? I found a purple wire and a green wire in one loom, one for temp, other is unplugged. If that's my o2 wire, I'll be VERY happy. Been looking for awhile now for how to get rid of that pesky code 13.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Another update. I got approved by the dealership to get my tank recall taken care of. They found a new tank for me, and will be putting it in next thurs. I'm very excited about that. I'll also be warrantying that fuel pump again. Gonna ask for a better quality pump this time too, just to make sure I don't have this problem again. That's the big news. Next projects I've got are getting my map sensor working properly, and getting that o2 sensor in.
map has been acting all kinds of weird, I'm fairly convinced it's a bad signal wire. could also be the ecm though, so hopefully it's not that.
o2 sensor should be straightforward, I'm just trying to decide whether to extend the wire to the driver side where the prev owner for some reason put the sensor and plugged the wrong wire into, or to just put in a new bung on the driver side and run it at least close to where it should be.