Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Odd VATS behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd VATS behavior

Have had this car for 12 years....
89/T/A, 305, TPI

Right after I bought it in 2000, the ignition cylinders tumblers were so worn the car wouldmt start so I replaced the ignition cylinder with an off the shelf setup. Heres what I did.
I kept the old cylinder with the original key (with resister) in the car. I simply stuck the original key in the cylinder, left the old VATS wires connected and slid the old cylinder up into the dash and left it there. That way, the ECM always saw the resister when I wanted to start the car. Drove it like that for 12 years.

Fast foward to now. Battery died and the car sat up for 6 or 8 months. Finally replaced the battery so I could drive the car on weekends.
Now..... Every time I want to start the car

I put in the key, Security light never comes on...car wont start.
Pull the old key out for a sec to force the security light to come on, reinsert...cars starts.

Never had to do that before. I just left the old key in, tucked it away and forgot about it.

Why the change? Seems like the ECM wants to see the resistor removed out of the system each time its turned off. Not really causing any problems...now I just leave the old cylinder lying in the ashtray, pull and reinsert each time I want to start it up. Just seems odd.