Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

n00b with another VATS question (I did search)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n00b with another VATS question (I did search)

I've spent an hour searching and although i've learned alot, i'm more confused then ever!

I just bought a 1991 Camaro RS 305 TBI MANUAL tranny. Although this car is a project, it did fire right up in the previous owners garage with a fresh battery, twice.

He told me if i put a dead battery in it and try to start it, it could trip the security system. He then told me "there's a key and cylinder under the dash, don't touch it! It's there for the security system and it was something the dealers added to the cars" (i've now learned that's BS and he probably had a faulty key reader)

n00b with another VATS question (I did search)-k35lv.jpg

I want to bypass the starter enable relay. I've read there's a green wire that i can ground and it will permanently bypass it basically disabling the key reader and VATS. Is this true?

I understand the second half of the VATS is a fuel cut off via the ECM but if i jump the starter it will run. That isn't my problem.

Sorry! I know this question has been asked and answered a million times but i do not want to do the resistor mod. I'll put in my own relay and bypass the whole system before i do that.

thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: n00b with another VATS question (I did search)

Originally Posted by WAT5ON87
I want to bypass the starter enable relay.
I've read there's a green wire that i can ground and it will permanently bypass it
That only makes the relay work when the Ign turned to the start pos , if the relay is faulty ( as yours appears to be )
it changes nothing.
What you do is cut and connect the two thick wires going into the relay plug together completely removing the relay from the system

basically disabling the key reader and VATS. Is this true?
Nope
The fact you can jump start the car shows the VATS module is still reading the dodgy key lying on the floor.
To completely bypass VATS you have to bypass the relay and have the fuel enable signal to the computer removed in the tune
or buy a unit
http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_vats/

that generates the correct signal as required by the computer in order for it to fire the injector
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

I want to bypass the starter enable relay.
I've read there's a green wire that i can ground and it will permanently bypass it
That only makes the relay work when the Ign turned to the start pos , if the relay is faulty( as yours appears to be ) it changes nothing.
What you do is cut and connect the two thick wires going into the relay plug together completely removing the relay from the system

basically disabling the key reader and VATS. Is this true?
Nope
The fact you can jump start the car shows the VATS module is still reading the dodgy key lying on the floor.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

i do not want to do the resistor mod.
you may as well put in the correct resistor on the VATS wires so you can remove the lock
lying on the floor which is performing the same function as a permanent resistor

I'll put in my own relay and bypass the whole system before i do that.!
The relay is only needed to isolate the starter, if deleting VATS it is not needed at all
To completely bypass VATS you have to remove the relay and have the fuel enable signal to the computer removed in the tune
or buy a unit that generates the correct signal as required by the computer in order for it to fire the injectors

http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_vats/
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM

thank you.... i'll try replacing the relay or jumping those two wires and see what happens. At least i have a better understanding of how it all works now.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM

just an update for anyone searching in the future:

I pulled my ECU fuse (10A) and it was corroded very bad. Replaced it with a new one and the car starts every time now!