Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Trans-am Hesitating <-- Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: 700 R4
Trans-am Hesitating <-- Video

I am back guys, havent been to the forums in a long time. Anyways a little while before winter had came my car started to act up.

87 trans am 305 v8 700r4

Alright so first problem ive got, when my car sits for a period of time, say over night. Or even a few hours when I go to start it, it doesnt want to start right away. Like its not getting gas or something, itll just keep turning over unless i turn key on and off like 4 - 8 times to get the pump going. If i park it for an hour or so, itll start right away but say I park it and leave it overnight, in the morning ill have the same starting issue.

That has always kinda been an issue with it.

Then after awhile now when I have my car running, it will idle just fine, but as soon as I give it a bit of throttle it seems to hesitate, want to stall. and its seems relatively delayed aswell. It got worse the more i drove it.

What do you think my 2 solutions would be? First issue seems like its a vacuum line or something, not keeping the gas in the line and draining back and I have changed my fuel filter just recently.

I finally made a video of the hesitating, since it sat all this summer I had no time for it.

Here is the video
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Trans-am Hesitating <-- Video

Hard to say. Could be fuel or ignition. I tend to doubt it's vacuum leak unless you got a big one.

If you take it out an hammer on it does it just fall all over itself and not want to go or is it just light throttle/transition kind of a probem? If WOT is a disaster, it's likely a dying fuel pump. If not, then it's probably ignition or vacuum line-related.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: 700 R4
Re: Trans-am Hesitating <-- Video

Originally Posted by Damon
Hard to say. Could be fuel or ignition. I tend to doubt it's vacuum leak unless you got a big one.

If you take it out an hammer on it does it just fall all over itself and not want to go or is it just light throttle/transition kind of a probem? If WOT is a disaster, it's likely a dying fuel pump. If not, then it's probably ignition or vacuum line-related.
Well I recently changed all my plugs, fuel filter, ignition coil and rotor. I didnt change the plug wires though. So Im thinking either wires, pump or vacuum leak somewhere?

Forgot to mention, the only way I can actually get the car to actually rev up and get going is if i feather the throttle a certain way.