Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Spark knock or worse....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 Tbi
Transmission: T-5
Spark knock or worse....?

Quick rundown on the car...

92 RS, 305 tbi, t-5, bone stock other than a hi-flow cat and full single 3in exhaust to dual tips.

The problem I am having is kind of hard to explain but i'm going to try my best. Yesterday morning I drove my car about 7 miles to work, it drove amazingly. Ran better than normal actually, but nothing out of the ordinary. Got to work, parked, idled fine for about ten minutes while i was waiting, once again with 0 issues. Come noon time, I get in to go get lunch. Right off the bat I notice a slight idle difference, nothing major but a deffinate difference in sound, but at the same time, it was idiling right at 800 with no flucuations (sp?). As im cruising through the parking lot obviously at a very slow speed I can notice the exhaust sound is for sure different, almost a very subtle subaru sound in the note. Very faint, but deffinently there once again. As soon as I pull onto the street I can deffinently notice the power difference. Am I saying my car is fast, heck no, but a deffinite decrease in the power department. And once I get up to around 50 and shift into 5th gear and its still say under around 2000rpms to just cruise it almost bucks like it did when I had to get the timing set after doing a distributor swap. It almost sounds like theres an ignition issue, or something and I can also hear a very faint knock that varies in sound at idle. If you dont know anything about a car then you wouldnt notice the slight knocking, its that faint. Now just to say, the car starts right up, idles perfectly, dosnt die randomly or do anything odd that it hasnt before. Main issues are the obvious, exhaust tone, drop in power and the faint faint faint knock. I had to drive the car again today and it just shows the same symptoms, not better but also not any worse.

I picked up some ac delco plugs for it to be changed tomm once it sits in the garage and cools. Its got a new dizzy, cap, rotor and ignition module. If theres any questions that I need to answer so that mabey I can get some help on this than please ask. I hope I have described this well enough.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

Lee
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Re: Spark knock or worse....?

Also, no CEL at all.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd do the wires at the same time, just to be safe. Hard to say from what you described but the "lightswitch" type behavior is almost always something electrical, usually ignition-related.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I don't know anything about "subaru"; but sounds to me like, an intake rocker isn't working right.

Most likely, in your enthusiasm over how "amazing" it was running, something in the valve train was damaged, as often happens in such situations.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Definently going to be doing wires as well, good call Damon because i was about to forget. sofakingdom, I can honestly say that ive revved this car to 4000rpms one time in my time of owning it. I have not had a chance to track it or get back into the scca due to being stationed on USMC Base Camp Lejune. Im married and live on base as well and they are extremely harsh on marines speeding, so i just drive like a grandma. What throws me off is that I was driving very sanley and yet it just *poof* started doing this. Thats why i'm thinking electrical of some sort. By subaru I mean that boxer exhaust note. Subarus have a very distinct sound, but I was just using that as a reference to anything close I could think of and relate to you guys.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM

Both rear plugs on driver/pass side were totally jacked up with carbon and what not, replaced plugs, wires and changed the oil...running like the monster it is. All 160hp of it.