Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

injectors stuck LT1 swap.. grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 99 SS G2
Engine: 389 rwhp ls1 n/a
Transmission: viper spec t56
injectors stuck LT1 swap.. grrrrr

OK.. soooo, we've been working on this LT-1 swap (in a 91 rs) since october, and have finally gotten to the point where we were ready to fire the thing up.

We couldn't get it to fire, so of course we checked all of the grounds for the computer, plugged up a scanner, and the only code it threw was for the trans temp, checked the plugs, and found that they were gapped to 60, and should have been 35 (they sold me the wrong plugs at vatozone, but i'm using them anyway for now, gapped to the correct spec. )

the engine would fire when we sprayed carb cleaner into the intake but, just wouldn't catch!

so... we decided it either wasn't getting enough spark, or enough fuel, so we pulled the fuel rails out and hit the key, and NO gas sprayed.

we are 95% sure by use of a void light that the injectors are getting signal from the computer, but do have the question of whether the injectors are SEQUENTIAL or left bank right bank independent...

We assume they are sequential, and if that's the case, then they are working.

well...

i guess i have TWO questions, but had to give you the back story first.

1. if the injectors are stuck, what is the best way to get them UN-stuck?
We can do an injector flush once the car is RUNNING, but the car needs to run to do the flush.

I priced injectors... $98 EACH x 8.. 720 bucks, and i paid 800 for the motor and transmission in the first place! that's -not- an option.

Granted, i can find used injectors on ebay or maybe even CL, but, there is no guarantee that they will be any better than what's in there currently.

I have 3 gallons of gas in the tank, and i DID pour an entire bottle of lucas injector cleaner in as well as 3/4 of a bottle of sea foam, and cycled the fuel pump about 30 times to make sure that some of the cleaner goes into the fuel rails and can sit for a few days. This is gonna suck in the end because i will have to fill the gas tank to dilute the fuel treatments, and it will probably run like crap until it dilutes enough to run properly after a few top offs.

-- another thing we are going to try is to hook up a tool my step dad has that will allow you to pulse the injectors "x" amount of times.. you hit a button and it pulses the injectors, you can make it pulse 1 or 50.. it's used for testing them. he didn't have the tool when we worked on it this weekend. The hope is that we can pulse them a few hundred times and maybe they will break loose from the crud, and my hope is that with the cleaner sitting in the fuel rail for a few days, it will aid it in doing so.

I did mention there were 2 questions..

2. when we're first cranking the motor, with the void light on the 1 or 8 injector, it seems sporadic for the first 3 or 4 cranks, and then lights on 1 or 8, whichever. (this happens no matter what injector it's on actually)

so.... that kind of creates the question of whether they are sequential, or left right left right whatever, depending what cylinder is firing at what time.

It makes SENSE for them to be sequential, but i understand some are not. and like i said, it doesn't make sense for it to light sporadically for the first few complete revolutions of the motor and then pulsing to the beat.

basically, i'm just trying to figure out if it is supposed to pulse sporadically when the motor is trying to start because it assumes that the motor is lacking fuel, and wants to fill the cylinders to help it start faster etc.

-----

so.. any ideas?

I definitely can't afford new injectors, or.... used ones either for that matter. i have pretty much a $0 budget at the moment and need to do whatever i can for free at the moment.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: injectors stuck LT1 swap.. grrrrr

Originally Posted by mitchberry
we are 95% sure by use of a void light that the injectors are getting signal from the computer, but do have the question of whether the injectors are SEQUENTIAL or left bank right bank independent...

You don't state what year
92/93 LT1's were batch fire , the later years sequential

I priced injectors... $98 EACH x 8.. 720 bucks, and i paid 800 for the motor and transmission in the first place! that's -not- an option.
What the smart people are installing
http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...hp?groupid=113
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

the engine would fire when we sprayed carb cleaner
we pulled the fuel rails out and hit the key, and NO gas sprayed..
You don't mention anywhere what your fuel pressure at the rail is?

Might want to read this
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

OK.. soooo, we've been working on this LT-1 swap (in a 91 rs) since october, and have finally gotten to the point where we were ready to fire the thing up.

We couldn't get it to fire, so of course we checked all of the grounds for the computer, plugged up a scanner, and the only code it threw was for the trans temp, checked the plugs, and found that they were gapped to 60, and should have been 35 (they sold me the wrong plugs at vatozone, but i'm using them anyway for now, gapped to the correct spec. )

the engine would fire when we sprayed carb cleaner into the intake but, just wouldn't catch!

so... we decided it either wasn't getting enough spark, or enough fuel, so we pulled the fuel rails out and hit the key, and NO gas sprayed.

well...

i guess i have TWO questions, but had to give you the back story first.

1. if the injectors are stuck, what is the best way to get them UN-stuck?
We can do an injector flush once the car is RUNNING, but the car needs to run to do the flush.

Granted, i can find used injectors on ebay or maybe even CL, but, there is no guarantee that they will be any better than what's in there currently.

I have 3 gallons of gas in the tank, and i DID pour an entire bottle of lucas injector cleaner in as well as 3/4 of a bottle of sea foam, and cycled the fuel pump about 30 times to make sure that some of the cleaner goes into the fuel rails and can sit for a few days. This is gonna suck in the end because i will have to fill the gas tank to dilute the fuel treatments, and it will probably run like crap until it dilutes enough to run properly after a few top offs.

-- another thing we are going to try is to hook up a tool my step dad has that will allow you to pulse the injectors "x" amount of times.. you hit a button and it pulses the injectors, you can make it pulse 1 or 50.. it's used for testing them. he didn't have the tool when we worked on it this weekend. The hope is that we can pulse them a few hundred times and maybe they will break loose from the crud, and my hope is that with the cleaner sitting in the fuel rail for a few days, it will aid it in doing so.

I did mention there were 2 questions..

2. when we're first cranking the motor, with the void light on the 1 or 8 injector, it seems sporadic for the first 3 or 4 cranks, and then lights on 1 or 8, whichever. (this happens no matter what injector it's on actually)

so.... that kind of creates the question of whether they are sequential, or left right left right whatever, depending what cylinder is firing at what time.

It makes SENSE for them to be sequential, but i understand some are not. and like i said, it doesn't make sense for it to light sporadically for the first few complete revolutions of the motor and then pulsing to the beat.

basically, i'm just trying to figure out if it is supposed to pulse sporadically when the motor is trying to start because it assumes that the motor is lacking fuel, and wants to fill the cylinders to help it start faster etc.

-----

so.. any ideas?

I definitely can't afford new injectors, or.... used ones either for that matter. i have pretty much a $0 budget at the moment and need to do whatever i can for free at the moment.
correct me if i am wrong but i assume that the injectors are stock. If you feel that they are stuck, you might want to try something a little crazy but it sometimes works. If you can get the injectors to fire, tap them on the side a few times, sometimes if there is some debris that is preventing them from spraying, it might break loose and restore the flow.