Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

wants to stall in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350 from a 69
Transmission: 700r4
wants to stall in gear

87 iroc z with a carb'd 350 from a 72 Camaro

I gave it a little gas one day and it started puttering and hesitating, tore top of distributer apart and cap and rotor were junk, (before I replaced those it wouldn't stay running, kept stalling out) replaced cap and rotor, and ran fine for a while then started hesitating while accelerating and by the time I got home it was trying to stall everytime I stopped. so I rebuilt the carb, and it actually started up and sounded normal....until the motor warmed up, and put it in reverse to back out, then was trying to stall out again until I put it in park and it started idleing jus fine....

so it starts up fine and goes into gear good sometimes when its cold, but once the motor is warm it still idles fine but when I put it in gear it tries to stall out. Im thinking mechanical fuel pump??
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Re: wants to stall in gear

Originally Posted by dmavericks87
87 iroc z with a carb'd 350 from a 72 Camaro

I gave it a little gas one day and it started puttering and hesitating, tore top of distributer apart and cap and rotor were junk, (before I replaced those it wouldn't stay running, kept stalling out) replaced cap and rotor, and ran fine for a while then started hesitating while accelerating and by the time I got home it was trying to stall everytime I stopped. so I rebuilt the carb, and it actually started up and sounded normal....until the motor warmed up, and put it in reverse to back out, then was trying to stall out again until I put it in park and it started idleing jus fine....

so it starts up fine and goes into gear good sometimes when its cold, but once the motor is warm it still idles fine but when I put it in gear it tries to stall out. Im thinking mechanical fuel pump??
Still have a 700 in it? Sounds like the converter is staying locked up.....
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM

Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: 350 from a 69
Transmission: 700r4
Re: wants to stall in gear

ya 700r4 still in it, ill look into the torque converter thanks!