Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 Camaro wont run again....help!!! very frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Camaro wont run again....help!!! very frustrated

So had my son's 91 RS V6 running and driving. Replaced the fuel pump, fuel injectors, filter etc and it was running fine and had even taken him for a drive. Noticed a couple of times though that when we would try to start it the key would turn but nothing would happen. Then after a couple of tries it would kick over and fire up. I have to get into the column and tighten up the tilt coupler bolts and figured I would pook at that time and see if there was something loose with the ignition switch causing the intermittent issue. Havent messed with it for a couple of weeks and went out today to start it up and let it run and the first couple of key turns I got nothing again but then it started to turn over but wouldn't start. I noticed I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming like before so I pulled the connector from the relay and jumpered it to see if the fuel pump would come on and got nothing but a little spark and a quick pop.......now Im afraid I've fried something. The only light that comes on the dash now is the air bag light when I turn the key on (no check engine light or anything). The car will still turn over but no fuel pump priming amd it wont fire still. I checked all of the fuses and don't see any blown. Needless to say Im a tad bit frustrated. Now when I try to jumper the fuel pump at the relay I don't even get a spark. I was very excited when we got his car running but now Im a bit pissed and about to set it on fire.....any help before I burn it to the ground is greatly appreciated...lol

Tim
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Re: 91 Camaro wont run again....help!!! very frustrated

Ok....not sure why it happened but I figured out that I had blown the little 20 amp fuse on the passenger fender so replaced it ...jumpered the fuel pump and it came on. So I swapped out the fuel pump relay for the fan relay and fuel pump is working so replaced the relay and now it primes like it's supposed to but still wont start. It cranks and acts like it's going to fire but then sort of runs for a second or two. It almost acts like a carb'd engine thats been flooded. Is it possible that I flooded the engine jumpering the fuel pump? I'm worried about what caused the relay to go out and that I may be having an ECM issue now. Any recomendations on trouble shooting from here? It already has a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new injectors, new IAC valve, new plugs, new fuel pump relay, new radiotor fan relay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tim
Old 05-15-2013, 02:55 PM

you cannot flood the engine from jumping the fuel pump relay unless you have leaky injectors, but since you have replaced them, they should be ok. But just for shitz n giggles, go ahead and check the injector resistance again. just because they are new doesn't always mean they are good. it is possible that the plugs are gas fouled if you are having a problem with spark. Pop out a plug or two and check them. What happens if you spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid in the throttle body and try starting? check for spark and fuel injector pulse. Also need to check fuel pressure.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 CamaroZ28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

If u hear a click when trying to start and motor won't turn over it could be the Starter solenoid. Happens on my Z24 all the time.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73

Similar thing was happened recently on my '91 Firebird. Intermittent start. Running great and then no start. Followed the troubleshooting in the service manual and it led me to the Ignition Control Module (ICM). Replaced it today and it's back running great. If you don't have spark, mine didn't, pull the ICM from under the distributor cap and take it to Autozone and they can check if it's bad.