Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

holley 670 street avenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 chevy camaro
Engine: 355
Transmission: turbo 350 2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 detroit locker posi
holley 670 street avenger

i sent back my 650 d.p, and got the street avenger for more street driveability. the issue im having now is that when i cruise theres a sort of delay in the acceleration and then it goes. and when i mash the gas, itll sometimes stall, idle real low then backfire through carb, or sometimes there wont be an issue. i adjusted the acc pump linkage to make the screw longer but that didnt help either. the carb is totally stock when it comes to jets, power valve, and floats are good. any one have some insight. i was going to up the primaries, and put the primaries in the secondarys. i wanna race tomorrow but carbs screwing me.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Re: holley 670 street avenger

I have heard people say they are jetted a little on the lean side from the factory.
One carb tuner said to take the richer secondary jets and put them in the primary side, then buy a set of jets for the secondaries 8 sizes larger than the new primary side.
He also said to check the accelerator pump cam and arm for proper contact. Some of them at idle, the lever was not touching the cam, it was sitting on the throttle shaft return spring. He has had to bend some of the levers so they have proper contact with the cam at idle.

It seems like many of these carbs work fine out of the box, but if you get one that doesn't work right on your particular combo it will take some tuning.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by joshc
I have heard people say they are jetted a little on the lean side from the factory.
One carb tuner said to take the richer secondary jets and put them in the primary side, then buy a set of jets for the secondaries 8 sizes larger than the new primary side.
He also said to check the accelerator pump cam and arm for proper contact. Some of them at idle, the lever was not touching the cam, it was sitting on the throttle shaft return spring. He has had to bend some of the levers so they have proper contact with the cam at idle.

It seems like many of these carbs work fine out of the box, but if you get one that doesn't work right on your particular combo it will take some tuning.
i have a jet kit that goes all way up to 99, i was just unsure if i should start jetting them up or if it was anothr issue
Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by billybob6110
i have a jet kit that goes all way up to 99, i was just unsure if i should start jetting them up or if it was anothr issue
update: i got the stumble to go away. i drilled the discharge nozzle a little bigger for a bigger shot and put the pump cam to the 1 position and readjusted the acc pump. another issue is i cant get more then 8 hgi of vaccum no matter what i set the metering to. it makes it so i have no brakes and the engine will die. i checked for leaks, there is none. i have the edelbrock performer cam i kno i kno but shouldnt i get more vac then 8?