Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ughh>_< Code 34 & 42 '85 2.8 Camaro please help :/

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ughh>_< Code 34 & 42 '85 2.8 Camaro please help :/

I am at a loss as to what is wrong with my 1985 2.8 MPFI Camaro >_< It has been sitting for four months now and that is the longest it's ever sat in the nine years I've owned it. So here is what first happened: I was coming home driving it down the highway when I took my foot off of the gas and it seemed like it totally loss all power and it took a few seconds for it to pick it back up after I hit the gas again. Well it was throwing a code 34 so I replaced the MAF sensor, it ran fine that whole day until I parked it and restarted it the next day. Then it would start to shudder, check engine light was on and there was a very very rich gas smell (so strong it will make your eyes water within 30 seconds). Since then it has been parked, I've replaced: the MAF sensor, the O2 sensor, cap and rotor button and just today the ECM (minus the PROM). I just replaced the ECM today, I originally ordered it with the PROM but they messed up on the order. I'd hate to shell out another $80 for the PROM if that isn't what's causing it to run so bad. Tonight after replacing the ECM, I let the computer reset itself and took it for a test run and it ran normal for a while but then it started acting up and the rich gas smell came back. (also tonight after replacing the ECM it shot me a code 42 as well as the 34). My wallet is getting pretty bare at this point and my patience is worse, what can it be? Symptoms: rough idling, shuttering, very rich gas smell, check engine light and cut off. Any help greatly appreciated. Also I just joined today so I am unsure where I should've posted this so if I posted it in the wrong category I am sorry.

Last edited by onlycamaros; 09-21-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Ughh>_< Code 34 & 42 '85 2.8 Camaro please help :/

Originally Posted by onlycamaros
I am at a loss as to what is wrong with my 1985 2.8 MPFI Camaro >_< It has been sitting for four months now and that is the longest it's ever sat in the nine years I've owned it. So here is what first happened: I was coming home driving it down the highway when I took my foot off of the gas and it seemed like it totally loss all power and it took a few seconds for it to pick it back up after I hit the gas again. Well it was throwing a code 34 so I replaced the MAF sensor, it ran fine that whole day until I parked it and restarted it the next day. Then it would start to shudder, check engine light was on and there was a very very rich gas smell (so strong it will make your eyes water within 30 seconds). Since then it has been parked, I've replaced: the MAF sensor, the O2 sensor, cap and rotor button and just today the ECM (minus the PROM). I just replaced the ECM today, I originally ordered it with the PROM but they messed up on the order. I'd hate to shell out another $80 for the PROM if that isn't what's causing it to run so bad. Tonight after replacing the ECM, I let the computer reset itself and took it for a test run and it ran normal for a while but then it started acting up and the rich gas smell came back. (also tonight after replacing the ECM it shot me a code 42 as well as the 34). My wallet is getting pretty bare at this point and my patience is worse, what can it be? Symptoms: rough idling, shuttering, very rich gas smell, check engine light and cut off. Any help greatly appreciated. Also I just joined today so I am unsure where I should've posted this so if I posted it in the wrong category I am sorry.

First thing , while you didn't post in the "wrong" catagory , cause your question IS about an engine , there is a dedicated V6 sunforum here at TGO where you might run into more folks familiar with your engine (you'll notice most of the postings here involve V8) ....

Second thing , STOP throwing expensive parts at it without doing the troubleshooting required to verify that those parts are , indeed , faulty ! You can $pend MANY hundred$ of dollar$ chasing your tail in the hopes of getting lucky , and still not end up with a good running engine . Now , you say the main symptom is running rich , correct ? Well , one of the first and easiest tests you can do here is to remove and block the vacuum hose going to your fuel pressure regulator and start the engine looking for fuel to leak out of the regulator's vacuum nipple . If fuel , even a tiny bit , comes out of it , it means the regulator's diaphragm has become porous/ripped/or otherwise leaky , and is a very known failure causing rich running with our cars . Please check the regulator and report back . If bad , GREAT !!! You've found the problem . If not , there are several other checks that can be done WITHOUT $pending any more of those precious greenbacks untill the real problem is identified ......