Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Push Rods all chewed up, what happened???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27
Re: Push Rods all chewed up, what happened???

Just wanted to post that the Bosch III injectors with the TPI adapter will not fit in the FIRST fuel rail.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

That's why southbays site says to let them know if your using a aftermarket base. Send the back for a exchange and double o-ring the bottom side when they return.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Yeah I spoke with them before the purchase but received the wrong ones. No worries they are shipping me the correct ones and I will return the others. Anxious to get this thing fired up!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Sponsor

Opps hope you get them soon so you can burn some rubber
Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Got my new injectors in the mail and installed them and they fit fantastic.
I've got two things that I cannot figure out now.

1) after priming the fuel system a couple of times, the pressure does not hold. As soon as the pump stops, pressure drops from around 43 steadily to 7 psi in about 10-12 seconds. New fuel injectors, new fuel filter, new summit regulator. Why doesn't it hold pressure?

2)Upon priming the oil before assembling the rest of the intake, I only get oil pressure (seepage) from the drivers side rockers. Absolutely nothing comes from the pass side rockers. Checked oil pressure while priming, a good solid 40 psi. What would cause this?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Sponsor

1) The fuel has to go some where either bleeding back through the pump but sounds like you didnt have this issue before. So its either leaking through a stuck open injector pintle or past the return of the regulator.
2) Try rotating the engine and re prime, unless the is a blockage in the galley .
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM

I had a weird sputtering problem that got increasingly worse a couple months ago after I did my heads and cam. I talked to you about it quite a bit becuase I thought it was a tuning problem. Come to think of it, earlier this year I would get random Code 54 and a very hard start. This happened 3 or 4 times. Shutting the key off and trying again fixed it every time but looking back now I think these may be little clues as to the integrity of my pump.
I wanted to test something to eliminate the FPR as the culprit. I took the return line off and put it in a glass jar, then primed the pump. Of course gas shot out of the return on the FPR but as soon as the pump quit, so did the gas. Not a drop.

I did quite a bit of reading about only getting oil from one side of the engine. Some say that the distributor shaft actually "bridges" the left and right oil galleys. Others say that you have to have the cam in just the right place to get oil on the pass side. None of them I read ever mentioned anything about oil from the pass side and not the drivers.

I turned the engine over a little at a time and primed for about 30 seconds each time. Never did get oil from any of the pass rockers.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Keoman
I did quite a bit of reading about only getting oil from one side of the engine. Some say that the distributor shaft actually "bridges" the left and right oil galleys.
The distributor body does the bridging. At the lower portion of the distributor body is a groove. That is the bridge, the areas above and below this groove are machined to slip fit to the block. A good pre-oiler will have this section as part of it.

RBob.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks RBob, that is really good to know as I was a little worried
Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by RBob
The distributor body does the bridging. At the lower portion of the distributor body is a groove. That is the bridge, the areas above and below this groove are machined to slip fit to the block. A good pre-oiler will have this section as part of it.

RBob.
This is why , whenever I do the pre oiling thing , I get a junkyard distributor and modify it into a pre oiler .

Here is a pic of my latest one ....
Attached Thumbnails Push Rods all chewed up, what happened???-firebird45.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 AM

I actually have a spare laying around, I'll have to modify it and give it a world.

So I assembled everything and started it up tonight. Ran terrible for about 40 seconds and I shut it off.
During that 40 seconds or so I only got oil from 2 of the rockers which scared me. Oil pressure was reading 50+ in the cab. With the EST dissconected, I set timing to around 6 degrees but it jumped around quite a bit wih the increse in engine rpms. Gotta be bad camshaft endplay right? In any case I think it may be time to remove and dissasemble the engine unless someone has another idea. I have tried everything I can think of.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Keoman
I actually have a spare laying around, I'll have to modify it and give it a world.

So I assembled everything and started it up tonight. Ran terrible for about 40 seconds and I shut it off.
During that 40 seconds or so I only got oil from 2 of the rockers which scared me. Oil pressure was reading 50+ in the cab. With the EST dissconected, I set timing to around 6 degrees but it jumped around quite a bit wih the increse in engine rpms. Gotta be bad camshaft endplay right? In any case I think it may be time to remove and dissasemble the engine unless someone has another idea. I have tried everything I can think of.

Before ya give up , please do take that spare and build the pre oiler . I know most folks expect to see oil within seconds of startup on a freshly assembled engine , but I have seen it take longer . On one engine , I ran the pre oiler just over 2 minutes before all the rockers showed oil flow , and yes that engine ran great and in fact still runs ( With no evil ticking , even !)

If you run the pre oiler a couple or few minutes and STILL dont see oil , well then ya can rip into it ...
Old 11-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

With guideplates you must not run self alinging rocker arms, and the holes in the heads the pushrods go through need to be enlarged if the are not round.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

This is all part of why I don't BOTHER with "priming", and haven't for several decades now. Just a waste of time and effort.

If the motor was built properly, with the proper pre-lube, it is not only unnecessary, but even POTENTIALLY HARMFUL. Therefore I build em right in the first place, and don't trouble with the other.

That said, don't worry about it. The oil passages you can SEE the flow from are ½" in diameter. They don't get "blocked". Nothing to worry about.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info.
I am going to replace my fuel pump and see where that gets me as far as drivability. At least that's a problem I think I can solve right now.
Also going to check (for the 10th time) to see if I'm out 180 on the distributor.
Would a bad FP cause back firing?

Johnny,
I am not using guide plates and I also increased the diameter of the rod holes in the heads quite a bit before install. I have checked several times for rubbing on the pushrods but no signs.