Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z28
Engine: 305 ci Tpi
Transmission: 700 R-4
EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise

I am trying to finish up the vacuum lines on my '86 305 camaro. I only have one problem, I went to run the egr valve hook up and seen that there was no egr solenoid. I went up to a chevrolet dealership and had them look up the part. They said that they don't make them anymore. So where can I get or find one?Or what can I use in replacement of that? Could I use one from like an 87 or 88?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise

1995 Cadillac Deville 4.9 works for the application. See RockAuto, around $40 or used from salvage yard for that year

Last edited by Bob88GTA; 05-14-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Was not finished
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z28
Engine: 305 ci Tpi
Transmission: 700 R-4

I don't have to do any modifications to the bracket or the vacuum hose routing right? I can just buy it and mount it and run the hoses like the original one as soon as I get it?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Here's a pic:

Posted Image

As you can see, the solenoid looks very different from the solenoid from our cars, but it is essentially the same thing and was designed to run with the same computer setup. You will just need to run longer vacuum lines and reroute accordingly. In addition, you will need to find a way to mount it. You can use the mounting point near the firewall where there seems to be a brace extending from the passenger's side fender to the firewall. This brace is useless and can be taken out. I use that mounting hole for my MAP sensor. The Solenoid I got was Standard Motor Products Part # VS25 bought at Parts Authority for $50.

Also, look at the picture of the connector. Depending on what year TPI you have, your stock connector may or MAY NOT plug in. On my 91 GTA, the stock solenoid used weatherpack connectors. This Caddy solenoid will use a metripack connector.

Weatherpack Connector:
Posted Image

Metripack Connector: (YOU NEED THIS FOR CADDY SOLENOID)
Posted Image

The proper connector pigtain can be obtained from TPIParts.net or GM. The cost was $11. You may either cut the old conenctor off from the wiring harness and splice in the new one. Or if you don't want to cut up your harness, you can do what I did and make an adapter harness, by splicing a female weatherpack connector to the Caddy EGR Solenoid pigtail connector. I made my own female weatherpack connector using a weatherpack kit from Painless Performance Part # 70402.

Posted Image

The harness will also have the added benefit of giving you a longer extension should you decide to utilize the holt near the firewall I was talking about earlier. Simply mount the solenoid wherever you wish, and plug the stock harness connector into the new one you made and plug the adapter to the Solenoid. Then run your vacuum lines from the solenoid to the EGR Valve and the vacuum port under the TB and re-assemble the TPI and you're done. Enjoy the newfound power.

A few notes to consider:
- The Caddy EGR Solenid WILL NOT mount to the stock coil/solenoid mount.
- When you plumb the vacuum lines, toss the old factory pre-formed vac lines and buy the correct size in at least 5 feet from the parts store. Depending on where you mount the solenoid, you may need to run the lines differently from stock.
- I mounted my solenoid on the stock coil mount using some thing gauge aluminum bar strips from home depot and drilling mounting holes through it.
-When routing the vac lines, the intake side of the solenoid is the SHINY nipple. This vac line comes from the throttle body or whatever engine source you're using. The black nipple goes to the EGR.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Supreme Member

Here are some pictures

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise-caddy-solenoid.jpg

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise-caddy-connector.jpg

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Advise-egr-connector.jpg