Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

major cluster f*ck of engine problems instantly please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 305 tbi
major cluster f*ck of engine problems instantly please help

soo this car is a domino effect of problems,bought it 7 weeks ago and have put less than 100 miles on it because its one problem after another and money is dwindling especially when i payed way to much for a car for it to be having problems,anyways its a 91 rs camaro 305 v8 tbi auto transmission,ill start listing symptoms car was running great until i did a tune up and got the firing order wrong
1.blew the intake manifold gasket,coolant in oil and top end clatter,real soft top of clatter though lifter clatter it sounds like
2.i still need to time it properly but i know it couldn't be too off,it has a little miss and dies instantly when thrown into reverse,but only sometimes
3.notices a jerry rigged wire a while ago and yanked it,turns out it was hooked up to the radiator fan relay so i may have put about 20- miles on the car with the fan off completely,
i feel the engines getting way to hott drove it up and down the block and the valve covers were too hott to even touch,and i noticed fluid coming out of the exhaust which is new but it was cold,also the was major pressure in the radiator hose that connects to the intake manifold, and the radiator cap was pretty dam hott i only drove it for about 7 minutes up the street to find parking and floored it a little
4.all of a ****ing sudden when i gas it pretty decent i hear this nasty grinding gear type of noise from under the hood and it goes away when i let off the gas,i can floor it in neutral and the car sounds good (enough) and when i coasted in the car and just cruised it sounded fine,just when i gased it pretty good the sound arises and it didnt sound good at all,but its only in hard acceleration,also when i shift gears from neutral to reverse the lights dimmer but i know my battery needs to be replaced,i honestly dont know what to do at this point im spending all hours im not at work on this car and it seems fruitless and its stressing me out beyond belief,also i dont trust my gauges,but my oil gauge is fluctuating like crazy and the needle goes like off the reader when ever i accelerate,also took off my oil filer cap and heard a hiss from like slight pressure build up and hottttt exhaust smoke came out and it smelled sweet,and i did an oil change after replaceing intake manifold gasket and plan on doing another,but i also found the cold coolant i assume coming from my driver side exaughst pip,which is also the side im getting the engine clatter from i welcome EVERYONES advice please i need all the help and tricks n hint i can get

thank you
Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342
Re: major cluster f*ck of engine problems instantly please help

Did you replace that intake gasket? If not, don't drive it! Fix that first, change your oil/filter and then work down your list of problems. Coolant in your oil could be causing some of your issues.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: major cluster f*ck of engine problems instantly please help

Check the oil, is it creamy/white or have bubbles in it? Sure sign you have water in the oil if it is. Also, coolant or any liquid coming out the tail pipes is caus for concern, could be a cracked head, bad manifold gasket etc.