Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help

I purchased a 1982 chevy camaro a few months ago and am starting to try to get it running before deciding what exactly I want to do with it. The gas tank had a lot of rust and a hugh hole in it. I replaced the tank the in tank sending unit and filter. I cleaned the lines all the way to the in line canister filter and replaced the in line filter. It gets plenty of fuel to and through the filter to the back of the air horn (carb). It's a 2.5 L 4 cylinder. The car turns over good put won't start and stay running. If fuel is squirted in the carb it fires runs for a few seconds and dies. Any suggestions I haven't taken the carb off yet to check to see if there might be rust inside somewhere but it seems to be getting fuel to it.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: I need help

Welcome to TGO, I'm going to move your thread to the general tech board here.

With your description of the gas tank the carb may not be much better. The metal used will rapidly turn to powder in the presence of water.

RBob.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

If you want this engine to run, you're going to have to clean the carb. As Rbob stated, the carb is probably trashed inside. Have you checked the filter in the inlet to the carb? I believe there is a filter inside the fitting to the carb body. Being a single barrel carb, it should be really easy to dis-assemble and clean. You should still be able to get ahold of a rebuild kit for it pretty cheap, some carb cleaner and some time will get you going. You say you have gas to the carb but is the bowl being filled? with the air cleaner off, look down the airhorn and see if you are getting any pump shot when the throttle is pressed.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???

should have pulled off the carb before you ever tried to start it, imo ... it would be the first thing i did now