Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Short v Long water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac TransAM
Engine: 400SBC 24x conversion
Transmission: T700r Stage2 Shiftkitted
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 Bolt
Short v Long water pump questions

Hi Guys,

Just trying to pick the right pulleys for my vbelt setup as my serpentine brackets are for a truck not car and that ruined the plan.
Can't afford to buy a aftermarket serp setup or brackets plus shipping to Australia...

So, if I have a short water pump:
1) will it clear my 24x vortec timing cover?
2) will it line up with one of the triple groove crank pulley grooves?
3) will it screw up the alignment with alternator, p/s, and a/c?

I'm assuming the the difference in v-groove position in the short and long pulleys is dimished by the pulleys somewhat, would it be enough to shim the other accessories to get it to all fit or will i have problems?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Short v Long water pump questions

save some frustration and just get the replacement water pump for the truck you got the brackets and pulleys from: it will be a long pump, and i'm pretty sure they used the same one from 88-95 on 4.3 V6, 305, and 350 powered trucks, with the only difference being that some had the heater hose going to the pump and some going to the radiator tank but they generally include a pipe plug with all of them so the pump fits whatever configuration you are running. hell, that same pump will also fit every F body and B body (Caprice, etc) with the TBI and TPI engines in them, too.

edit: i see that you have a vortec truck engine, which i assume is a 96-99 engine. just get a pump for one of those if you have the water pump pulley, since it is slightly different than the older TBI one in that it doesn't have the water bypass built into it but rather uses an external hose to the front of the intake. also keep in mind that the truck AC compressor with this setup will most definitely NOT clear your hood and you will need to ditch the AC and use a factory "non AC" idler pulley and slightly shorter belt..
Old 09-24-2015, 02:31 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac TransAM
Engine: 400SBC 24x conversion
Transmission: T700r Stage2 Shiftkitted
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 Bolt
Re: Short v Long water pump questions

Sorry, no,

It's a 400 block with the vortec timing cover for a x24 obd2 conversion.

I had serp brackets and accessories, but they were for a truck and wouldn't fit with my HSR intake, or under the hood of my 85 trans-am.

So the serp is out of the question now.

I'm going back to v-belt system, i have a 3 groove crank pulley, and want to know if i can use a short water pump and pulley to line it up with one of the 3 grooves, and shim the rest of the accessories to match.

TPI serp brackets are non-existant in Australia, and cost too much to ship from the states, hence the only option is vbelt.