Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

For those who want to return to the 60s:

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: For those who want to return to the 60s:

Last edited by DonW; 03-15-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: enjoying the thread ;)
Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

I have 2 cents to add:
1) Most contributors to this thread found it entertaining, instead of offensive. So where does the minority get off trying to make demands??!
2) It might be a little off-topic. So what? Gearheads. Ignore the ignorance of others if you are wise.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula 350, 2002 Grand Prix G
Engine: 350 with SLP & Edlebrock mods
Transmission: 4-speed automatic-700 R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3:73

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
@ PurelyPMD - Absolutely poetic post! Almost brought a tear to my eye.

I love working on my 92, and all winter long I look forward to driving it again come spring. My brother is into turbo DSMs and his Talon will easily spank my Camaro all over a track, but even he agrees that there's is no comparison in the aesthetics between the 2 cars. My dad has a 67 Corvette roadster. When the side pipes begin making noise, even though you can't hear yourself think cause the top is down, there is no better sound in the world.
Back in 1966, I bought a Nassau Blue Corvette Vert with the 427 cu.in 425 hp, yellow sidewalls and factory SIDE PIPES. At 65 mph, you could not hear the radio, but just listened to the engine speak to you. Go under an overpass, rev it up and listen to it back off OR going down a long steep hill (with the concrete barrier along side) put it into 3rd gear and listen to it bark all the way down. At idle the cam would rock you around and the solid lifters were clicking away was pure music to my ears. Plus at every stop light there was a GTO-SS Chevelle-Cuda-Mustang etc, to BLOW OFF. I WANNA GO BACK!!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9
I have 2 cents to add:
1) Most contributors to this thread found it entertaining, instead of offensive. So where does the minority get off trying to make demands??!
2) It might be a little off-topic. So what? Gearheads. Ignore the ignorance of others if you are wise.
Who are you calling a minority? I'm offended
I agree with John that it isnt tech/engine related per say, and I personally think a live chat room on TGO or a forum for threads like this on this board would be better suited...but hey, at the end of the day Im not the Owner, web master, or a moderator.
I do however think it a highly entertaining thread myself, and have already contributed several times.
I love old cars period. I love ya Sofa, but when it comes to cars I just LOVE to stick my head in the sand as you put it. Our generation has had to swallow more technological advances at a faster rate than any other people in history. Our children it seems come out of the womb knowing how to work a smart phone. WE are the ones who have had to make the most adjustments having not grown up with the internet or even cell phones.
I'm very much like PurelyPMD when it comes to hopping in my old car just for a drive to wind down a bit. That doesnt mean however that I or anyone else sticks their head in the sand and tries to avoid technology in other aspects of our lives. I happen to make my living off of the newest and latest Internet and satellite technologies available. I know my stuff.

I AM however NOT a professional mechanic. Only a novist and DIYer when it comes to my cars and I happened to grow up around cars that were much simpler and in a more simple time. I like them that way, and I certainly prefer them that way for an every now and then weekend cruiser thirdgen, second gen or any other old car. To me though, they ARE only weekend cruisers. I have my newer machines to get me and the family to and fro. They are just better at that. Period. I do however love the feeling of the yesteryear cars and enjoy them for what they were far more than installing huge brakes, a completely different aftermarket steering and handling suspension etc...
I think the real people who lose out on the value of having a vintage car are the ones who try to turn them into something they arent by throwing thousands and thousands at the car so that they dont get outrun by the next Honda that comes along...lol They should probably just go buy a new car! I can drive the dog sh@t out of a third gen. I dont need upgraded brakes, a HUGE power transplant, or 20" tires, and everything eibach has on the market for my suspension to keep me on the road either. Stock ride height, and stock suspension kept up with quality stock replacements is for me.

Last edited by DonW; 03-14-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DonW
Who are you calling a minority? I'm offended .... I know my stuff.

I AM however NOT a professional mechanic. Only a novist and DIYer....
"Stuff" PFFT.. You've got too much to say IMO, especially since you are not a "professional mechanic". According to your own words...
BTW, Some attempt at proper English (including yours) spelling on this forum is pathetic.

Last edited by UltRoadWarrior9; 03-14-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

The first post provoked responses.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:16 AM

"Stuff" PFFT.. You've got too much to say IMO, especially since you are not a "professional mechanic". According to your own words...
BTW, Some attempt at proper English (including yours) spelling on this forum is pathetic.
I dont give a hankerin 2 cents if yer offended. NEXT!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 AM

By the way, quoting me out of order there is pretty crafty. You should be a politician....just sayin

Me knowing "my stuff" if you read it correctly, is referring to me knowing my line of work. I work in a field where if I didn't "know my stuff" I would quickly be without a job. My line of work is keeping you with your internet and television. I have no problem not being a professional mechanic. I still feel welcome here on TGO. It happens to be why Im here, because Im not a ASE mechanic, and sometimes need the help of this board. Doesn't mean I dont like to wrench on my own stuff though

Last edited by DonW; 03-15-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
The first post provoked responses.
It sure did Ron. And I respect everyones responses. Everyone has different reasoning behind owning one of these great timeless cars.

"On the condition that you don't chop-top the roof like one of those beaners, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly, and don't put a big, gay spoiler on the rear end like you see on all the other zipperheads' cars. It just looks like hell. If you can refrain from doing any of that... it's yours."
Clint Eastwood (Gran Torino)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Just to be clear, the first post means the OP' first original post to start this thread.

I like sofa, he has been here for a very long time and is very knowledgeable about our cars. He's been a great asset, but sometimes you just have to get past his charming demeanor.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
Just to be clear, the first post means the OP' first original post to start this thread.

I like sofa, he has been here for a very long time and is very knowledgeable about our cars. He's been a great asset, but sometimes you just have to get past his charming demeanor.
Spot on. I love that guy. Hes knowledgeable AND funny mixed with allot of sarcasm.
Hes been there for me since I bought my car last year with excellent advice every time.
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (07-31-2021)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Those who want to return to the 80s:

TITLE: For those who want to return to the 80s
Originally Posted by DonW
Who are you calling a minority? I'm offended
I agree with John that it isnt tech/engine related per say, and I personally think a live chat room on TGO or a forum for threads like this on this board would be better suited...but hey, at the end of the day Im not the Owner, web master, or a moderator.
I do however think it a highly entertaining thread myself, and have already contributed several times.
I love old cars period. I love ya Sofa, but when it comes to cars I just LOVE to stick my head in the sand as you put it. Our generation has had to swallow more technological advances at a faster rate than any other people in history. Our children it seems come out of the womb knowing how to work a smart phone. WE are the ones who have had to make the most adjustments having not grown up with the internet or even cell phones.
I'm very much like PurelyPMD when it comes to hopping in my old car just for a drive to wind down a bit. That doesnt mean however that I or anyone else sticks their head in the sand and tries to avoid technology in other aspects of our lives. I happen to make my living off of the newest and latest Internet and satellite technologies available. I know my stuff.

I AM however NOT a professional mechanic. Only a novist and DIYer when it comes to my cars and I happened to grow up around cars that were much simpler and in a more simple time. I like them that way, and I certainly prefer them that way for an every now and then weekend cruiser thirdgen, second gen or any other old car. To me though, they ARE only weekend cruisers. I have my newer machines to get me and the family to and fro. They are just better at that. Period. I do however love the feeling of the yesteryear cars and enjoy them for what they were far more than installing huge brakes, a completely different aftermarket steering and handling suspension etc...
I think the real people who lose out on the value of having a vintage car are the ones who try to turn them into something they arent by throwing thousands and thousands at the car so that they dont get outrun by the next Honda that comes along...lol They should probably just go buy a new car! I can drive the dog sh@t out of a third gen. I dont need upgraded brakes, a HUGE power transplant, or 20" tires, and everything eibach has on the market for my suspension to keep me on the road either. Stock ride height, and stock suspension kept up with quality stock replacements is for me.
I respect your opinion, I was probably in a bad mood last night when I posted my last....

That said, in response to your last paragraph, I am one of few current members here who are building up a 383 stroker.... I can speak for my build: Thousands are being put into aluminum cylinder heads, thousands being put into a forged bottom end, thousands on intake and various other parts to finish the engine.

Why? As a tech I've always thought I could make an engine better than a manufacturing plant. One that mass manufactures parts and cuts corners, in order to maximize profits, along with a certain failure rate (which all gets sold). I've always wanted to build my own engine, from scratch. I want to build it perfect. Heart and soul into the machine, almost an obsession until it's finished... I'm at the point in my life where I can finally do it. I couldn't do it when I was younger. So there, that's my POV and probably not mine only.

I guess feel free to be vocal, since that is what our military fights for, but expect a response as well. Cheers!

Last edited by UltRoadWarrior9; 03-15-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 PM

It's all good. That 383 build should be badass. I would love to see it. Hope your documenting the build. I'm no where near as serious about keeping them completely stock as my last post would suggest anyway. Its almost impossible unless you have a cream puff to start with, which I did not. I do like to see some untouched virgin 3rd gens out there though! Just takes me back in time and hopefully I will have one one day. As for mine, I'm trying to keep it stock appearing, but I'm not happy with the old carbed LG4 in it. She's just tired, so I have an L98 from a 90 model Vette on my engine stand along with the tranny. Don't think I haven't considered having it stroked. But, having 5 children and one on the way, my time is more valuable than the car and finances that are there for it, so it will just wind up being a carbed L98 to keep it quicker and simple. My end goal is a show car that is driven a few times in the summer. Something pretty, and pretty quick. Something to pass on to my kids. Then I will be on the prowl for another 69 Chevy stepside with three on the tree! Talk about a dog but fun to drive...lol
Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

"On the condition that you don't chop-top the roof like one of those beaners, don't paint any idiotic flames on it like some white trash hillbilly, and don't put a big, gay spoiler on the rear end like you see on all the other zipperheads' cars. It just looks like hell. If you can refrain from doing any of that... it's yours."
Classic.

And he has ONEHELLUVA rifle too. (As long as you don't have to schlep that, plus acouplahundred rounds, around in the jungle... but there's no doubt, you hit somebody with that, they're going DOWN)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

I don't care about attitudes. I come on this forum to talk shop with other gear heads. I sure don't get offended if someone wants to talk about something other than 82-92 F bodies. (Just don't put mine down or it's on!) LOL. As far as the 60s go, at this point, you can have them.

I have 73 Dodge Monaco on my lift that has been there for three weeks. The owner has three cars. A 64 Olds Starfire, a 70 Olds Toronado, and this gem of a Monaco. If you tell him that these(aside from the Starfire which is really cool) aren't especially sought after models, he will tell you he doesn't care. Each of these cars were purchased new by his parents and uncle from his family's own dealerships and have been in his family ever since. He keeps them like new and insists on me doing his service and repairs personally. I do all the work by hand with the greatest of care.

The Monaco is here for an engine overhaul, done by Gray's Racing engine's, a trans overhaul by Transmission Exchange, and a complete underhood refitting. I've rebuilt the engine electrical harness and restored the emissions systems, which were out of commission for years. This is the owner's wish. The car was here for three days for the engine and transmission removal and has again been here for 4 weeks since the engine was completed. I've spent most of this time waiting for little pieces to arrive from all over the country. It seems that parts for a 73 Monaco aren't in high demand.

I love this car. I love all of these great old cars that I have the honor of working on. This one has been here too long and I am way past ready for it to go home. The new engine runs beautifully, the trans is excellent and everything works, no leaks. Just waiting now for fitting gaskets for the AC compressor so I can seal it up and get it charged. Please, let the gaskets get here today, let this job be done. Old cars can be such a PITA!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

parts for a 73 ... aren't in high demand
Yup, is a function of the DATE.

Now, if it was a '67, you'd be able to find all manner of repop stuff, "rough" "survivor" stuff coming out of the woodwork at incredibly high $$$$, and so forth.

Those were AWESOME looking cars in their day... I remember renting a 74 one in about ... 73 or 74. That dark metallic green they had, black vinyl top, black interior, 2-dr, had less than 1000 miles on it when I picked it up. Didn't have awholehelluvalotta "whooma whooma" going on, was just a 318 2-bbl if memory serves in about a 4200-lb leaf-spring sled, but was a SUPER SHARP ride just the same. But just didn't have the cachet of a 60s one, and has since been utterly forgotten, as not having been born into the "golden age".

I hope the guy enjoys it, he's in about the same situation as we are with our cars. He'll never get HALF of what he's got in it back out of it on the open market. Probably not even a quarter of it.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
...I hope the guy enjoys it, he's in about the same situation as we are with our cars. He'll never get HALF of what he's got in it back out of it on the open market. Probably not even a quarter of it.
And there it is! You said it yourself. Summarizing: Enjoyment cannot be measured in $$$... Maybe you're not 'enjoying' your '83 camaro. Jeez sofa, I feel like a psychologist, lol. Get positive man! Cup is half full, not hald empty.
In my state, in the year 2021, my '86 IROC is a classic car and no longer needs a state inspection. That is a cup half full.

Last edited by UltRoadWarrior9; 03-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

I THOROUGHLY ENJOY my 83. Have for well over 30 yrs now.

I just don't hallucinate that because I put $$$XXXXXX into it at some point (or even multiple points), I'm EVER going to see those $$$$$$$$$ back again. Not today, not tomorrow, not next year, not 50 years from now.

BIG DIFFERENCE between "enjoy", and "invest". As well as, what "the general public" "says" they "invest" in when you "ask" them, and what ACTUALLY comes out of their wallet when the moment of truth confronts them.

Don't forget, the OP made the point about $$$$$ and getting them back, NOT "enjoy". Don't put words in my keyboard.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
It's not just the raw horsepower that is exciting in an old car - it's a total sensory overload!

You can feel the grain of the road through the tires (I prefer bias plys on my old cars), the steering isn't muted through a rack & pinion, there are no ABS brakes or traction control systems that "compensate" for your pedal actions.

You can smell the oil, not to mention the gasoline and sometimes the antifreeze as the water pump weeps a little.

You can hear the secondaries open when you mash the pedal, the scream of air through a shaker or Ram Air setup, the tires straining to grip the road, losing their battle only to regain it a few feet later as you feather the pedal. The growl of an M22, the gears meshing together, the click of the linkage as you move through them. The squeak your seat makes or the clutch fork or the door latch as it locks in place, or the burble of the exhaust as the car waits, impatiently as you close the garage behind you after you've pulled out.

The glow of the guages at dusk, the dance of the needle in the hood tach, the glow of the old flip face AM/FM with the red dot twinkling as it tries to hold that stereo signal. The tire smoke as it rolls up your door & in the open window, the fog as it swirls around in your wake, filling the void you just punched in it.

I can't think about driving an old car without smiling about it & the third gens aren't that far enough removed that they have lost all of that feeling. I've had some of my worst days made better at the end by coming home and grabbing a set of keys. 20 minutes in an old car is more than enough to set my troubles at ease.
Exactly... I still remember the sound, feel, and location that my 4 barrel opened up on my drive to work in the morning. I still drive down that road once and a while and I think of that '85 Z28 every time.

I sold my '06 silverado and went back to an older body style '00 GMC because working on the '06 was boring. Unless you're a certified mechanic the average guy can't work on the new cars coming out today. Yes I lust after the new ZL1 camaro, but it costs more then my house! Just think of the 3rd gen you could build with $60,000+!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 92- V6, 86 305 carb.
Axle/Gears: 92- 3:23

Yes that is very true. All the old timers talk how fast the chevelles, camaros, and novas were. They were for there day but technology has long surpassed that. On another note, look what we had to endure for Performance cars of the late 70's and 80's. The family dog could outrun those cars. They didn't get any mileage, no power, they didn't even look that good.
I agree we are in the age of technology and the cars of today are fast, nimble, and stop on a dime. But if you grew up in the 60's and early 70's getting in one today still feels really good.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

I can't wait to hear the roar of my Quadrajet again!

BTW, this is the BEST thread on this site.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

My time machine - getting new clutches & springs in the 12 bolt and a new Hughes converter - going for 12's!

Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

my nephew has a dodge neon SRT turbo. pretty quick and nimble for what it is. the other day he met a guy at a gas station with a 1970 challenger, 440, 6-pack. the guy was nice enough to let him sit in it and take some pics. while i'm sure there are many faster cars, the kid walked away with a smile and appreciation for older muscle cars. theres something to be said for the classic styling, etc.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89

Wow, somehow I missed this thread last year. And 13 months between post #119 and post #120. Bitchin'!

I was 11 years old when the Camaro debuted. Loved it from the start. 2nd gens came out before I got my driver's license, hated them then, don't much like them today. I was in the Army when 3rd gens came out, started drooling when I first saw a used one for sale for less than $10k. But it took another 10 years before I could afford one - paid $200 for it, didn't run, cracked windshield, dented passenger front fender & door; but I still have it 18 years later.

I love the posts on TGO asking what muffler that will give their 2.8 Camaro that "muscle car sound" - uh, ain't gunna happen. Hard to beat the sound of those 1st gens with their dual Cherry Bomb exhaust 327 or 396, but I haven't seen a 3rd gen yet that sounded like them. Oh, well.

Yep, still have my first 3rd gen. It's ugly as can be, but with LS1/4L60E/12-bolt/3.73 and the typical ol' "hot rod goodies", it'll outrun any of the vehicles listed in the link in Post #1. Some day I'll get it cleaned up and looking good again, but my time and money are mostly spent on the other "first" car I have, my actual "first car"; a 1957 Bel Air 4 door sedan (yeah, the one in my profile pic). With its stroked LS-based engine, 4L80 transmission, etc., it's a full second faster than the 3rd gen, even though it weighs over 400 lbs more and has all the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood. Love 'em both (take that, you "tri-fives-are-ugly" hater...).

As to the current state of the hobby, in the 60's and early 70's, every teenager's dream was to get a car. Or at least their license so they could drive their dad's car. Today, if you ask 16-18 year-olds if they could pick between getting their driver's license or getting the latest smart phone, a (vast) majority will pick the phone (I know a 21-year-old who still doesn't have his license). That about says it all.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

As to the current state of the hobby, in the 60's and early 70's, every teenager's dream was to get a car. Or at least their license so they could drive their dad's car. Today, if you ask 16-18 year-olds if they could pick between getting their driver's license or getting the latest smart phone, a (vast) majority will pick the phone (I know a 21-year-old who still doesn't have his license). That about says it all.

WTF is wrong with kids today?

T.L. (07-31-2021)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA

WTF is wrong with kids today?

It comes down to how you socialize. Us old farts needed a car (or at least a bicycle) to get to where our friends were. Today, they can be "with" their friends on their phone (text, video).
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by five7kid
It comes down to how you socialize. Us old farts needed a car (or at least a bicycle) to get to where our friends were. Today, they can be "with" their friends on their phone (text, video).
So sad.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

i think sofas point is,in the end there is little to no return on investment with a third gen,these cars will not be worth $350,000 like a 70 chevelle ss ls6 or 69 z28 dz.doesnt stop me from loving mine and modding the ever living f%$k out of it
T.L. (07-31-2021)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

it's why pro touring was invented... lol...

Get the old muscle car feel but with modern performance.

T.L. (07-31-2021)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
It's not just the raw horsepower that is exciting in an old car - it's a total sensory overload!

You can feel the grain of the road through the tires (I prefer bias plys on my old cars), the steering isn't muted through a rack & pinion, there are no ABS brakes or traction control systems that "compensate" for your pedal actions.

You can smell the oil, not to mention the gasoline and sometimes the antifreeze as the water pump weeps a little.

You can hear the secondaries open when you mash the pedal, the scream of air through a shaker or Ram Air setup, the tires straining to grip the road, losing their battle only to regain it a few feet later as you feather the pedal. The growl of an M22, the gears meshing together, the click of the linkage as you move through them. The squeak your seat makes or the clutch fork or the door latch as it locks in place, or the burble of the exhaust as the car waits, impatiently as you close the garage behind you after you've pulled out.

The glow of the guages at dusk, the dance of the needle in the hood tach, the glow of the old flip face AM/FM with the red dot twinkling as it tries to hold that stereo signal. The tire smoke as it rolls up your door & in the open window, the fog as it swirls around in your wake, filling the void you just punched in it.

I can't think about driving an old car without smiling about it & the third gens aren't that far enough removed that they have lost all of that feeling. I've had some of my worst days made better at the end by coming home and grabbing a set of keys. 20 minutes in an old car is more than enough to set my troubles at ease.
Pure poetry above. Great post.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

Newer, faster cars...faster minivans!...the heyday of the muscle car era...car culture today...makin’em fast...keepin’em sl...torquey :P Lively discussion but the looks, gentlemen, the looks! Hands down one of the most gorgeous designs ever. Hell, and the rarity! I get people walking into traffic when I’m at a light on a weekly basis to tell a quick tale about when they were new or the one they had or to ask questions generally!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 AM

my car is tune-able with a screwdriver,i can turn it and feel a difference.i just played around with my holley and even without 15 sensors communicating with each other my car ran better.
i know my third gen isnt as fast as many new 4 cylinder cars but i get a sense of joy,accomplishment,envy from some and im rewarded with the growl,the rush and the sensory overload
that comes with a cable connected to a carburetor,brakes connected to a brake pedal with no interference from an ecu or any other countless systems .i feel the road through my steering
wheel like im part of the car,i shift gears myself manually without the assistance of an electronic co-pilot telling me what to do.i wouldn't have it any other way,and i can safely say im cell phone free.

i remember the 70's,black and white tv,dial phones,entertainment meaning nothing virtual,you either did it yourself in the real world or you weren't entertained
i remember watching the first rocket go to the moon,watching new cars being released and feeling excited,getting a ride in a brand new aar cuda to Sunday
school when i was 5,Johny Cash at the grand olde opry,hee haw,happy days,Gilligan island,Seeing Dick Harrell die at the drag strip from the stands.
the day elvis died,damned i feel old,my little girl just turned 19...seems like yesterday she was crawling.

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-10-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1986BANDIT
i remember the 70's,black and white tv,dial phones,entertainment meaning nothing virtual,you either did it yourself in the real world or you weren't entertained
i remember watching the first rocket go to the moon,watching new cars being released and feeling excited,getting a ride in a brand new aar cuda to Sunday
school when i was 5,Johny Cash at the grand olde opry,hee haw,happy days,Gilligan island,Seeing Dick Harrell die at the drag strip from the stands.
the day elvis died,damned i feel old,my little girl just turned 19...seems like yesterday she was crawling.
I got picked up for cub scouts one afternoon by one of my friend's older brother in his brand new 71 Hemi Cuda - I can still hear it rumbling down the street and in my mind can see it turning around through the picture window in our living room (we were the last house on a dead end street).

BTW, my little one is 21!

Old 08-10-2018, 03:41 PM

the joy on your daughters face could not be removed at that point in time,it will be a permanent memory like ours.
i remember almost every ride in a fast muscle-car or hot rod,it leaves an imprint.thanks for your comment....

you had to one up me with the hemi cuda,didn't you.yes the vision of that car and that experience are still burned into my mind.
lol my brothers friend had a hunter green 70 gto with a 455.i could swear it would do wheelies
(looking back ,its doubtful but in the mind of a 12-13yr old it happened) beautiful car none the less.

my neigbour at the time(my brothers friends buddy)loved that gto and built a 70 lemans partial gto clone,400,
done to the 9's.i rode in that car many times,it seemed like lightning quick to a kid in grade 7.love lemans and gto's.

in around 1981 my friend in the next town had a cherry hemi orange 70 or 71 340 cuda with a swapped 440.
i remember like it was yesterday him proudly saying"the swap is done" slamming the hood and the carb stud sticking through the hood
so many cars,so many memories.in maybe 1989 my other friend just finished his 1981 grand prix,built 350,
triple black showroom finish,cut and buffed.he just had his friend rebuild the holley carb . i was there when
he was trying to start it.he turned it over a couple times and it would almost catch then die,mike was
getting increasingly frustrated.i noticed gas leaking an a puddle under the car and i said

"MIKE,DON'T TRY AGAIN,WAIT!!!!"

he unfortunately didn't listen,he was too far gone and wanted it to run.

WOOOOOF,

im sure we all know that sound.....and the singed arm hair and fear accompanying it.
kind of like too much starter fluid in the barbecue or bon fire..we couldn't get it out,way to much gas and flammable material and no water or fire extinguisher.
the car went up fast and we were just outside of mikes high rise apartment parking area,it seemed like a minute before i heard the sirens of the firetrucks
(the car was written off,lots of melted everything) but on a side note.......

some lady in a panic saw the fire ,got in her car(she and her car were easily 100-150 feet away and the fire was contained at this time)
her car was in a semi under/above ground parking area (we were parked outside of the parking area) she proceeded to speed out of the
parking lot tagging 3 or 4 cars in her over zealous.brain-dead,unnecessary panic.i turned to mike and he actually laughed at the sheer
stupidity of this woman. good times.lots of them too.....

the parking lot im referring to was very similar to this,the woman was on the far side
(far laft)and we were outside as far from the actual parking unit as possible(on the driveway far right)

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-10-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 PM

that ss is also $60,000-$80,000 food for thought.6 mint third gens or one cookie cutter,hummmmm

just saw a mint 2000 slp ragtop,ls1,t56 sunset orange $10,000 cert.(i know its a fourth gen but i would take this over new in a second)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

New cars are superior to the old ones except in one very important category: looks.

The styling of the older cars is/was far superior and they were unique - cars today look too much alike. Also, colors in the past were much more vibrant and there was a much larger selection - now it seems you have a choice between silver, grey, black or white.

I also personally don't like the nanny/Big Brother aspect of new cars, but the styling/looks is the bigger thing.
T.L. (07-31-2021)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: Saginaw 4-spd

Nowadays engineers try to remove Noise, Vibration, and Harshness ("NVH") from vehicles. The older cars added it on purpose!! For me, I will be working on a 1982 Sport Coupe. I say will be, because it's currently my dad's car, which he has owned since new. No new car can match the memories this one can.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Which again is NOT MY POINT: which is, that what WE feel about our cars, DOESN'T translate to the general public. "Value", monetarily, is determined by the buying (general) public, NOT US. The fact that our cars are "better" in every possible measurable way than older ones were, even by the measurements that supposedly are what makes those old ones more or less "valuable" than each other, DOES NOT translate to interest on the part of the general public in cars from our time period. Or for that matter that newer cars that are "better" still by those same measurements, will EVER excite that same sort of nostalgia and warm fuzzies in most people. It's about THE DATE they were built, NOT the CAR ITSELF.

And don't forget, it's not just OUR cars. A 75 Vette is WORTHLESS compared to a 69 one. A 83 Mustang is WORTHLESS compared to a 70. A 74 Challenger is WORTHLESS compared to a 68. And so forth, on up to the point that cars have resale value based on traditional measurements like age (less than 10 yrs or so) and mileage (a 2012 Vette with 50,000 mi is "worth" more than a 2012 Vette with 80,000 miles, all else equal). It's the DATE, not the CAR, that makes this so.

Which ultimately is a good thing in some ways for people like us, in some ways; it makes used parts, scrapped cars, etc. DIRT CHEEEEEEEP. The fact that there aren't any repop parts available isn't too bad of a price to pay for that. We can enjoy these cars for what they ARE, without having to pay for all that baggage 60s cars have that these cars AREN'T and NEVER WILL BE. Anybody that thinks these cars will EVER attain the same sort of mass-market "cult" status that 60s muscle cars have, is deluding themselves. Drinking the Kool-Aid in a word.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 08-11-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM

i understand and i agree 100% with the value aspect of "the majority" of these cars.tta's fetch big bucks still but the stigma will never be lifted and anything after 1972 is considered essentially worthless.
on a side note a batch of fox bodies went through barrett jackson and fetched some INSANE PRICES,a 1993 gt ragtop fetched $53,000,1983 gt $33,000.....although they were low mileage examples .
essentially it boils down to "dont hold your breathe if you think your lg4 automatic z28/trans am with 250,000km is going to be worth a fortune ever,because it will not" many ask over $15,000 very few get it.
i dont think anyone is denying what you are saying sofa,we are in it for the love of the car,the era and not the return.honestly,at least that's what im in it for.affordable fun with access to affordable parts.

a rotted out pile of rust "pre 1972" anything is worth 10 grand and up,i saw a 68 cuda shell only, if it was sand or media blasted would disappear entirely and he wanted $7000....
a pristine 1982 and up f body will fetch the same money or less,much less unless it has under 1000 km on the odometer and even then its dicey..
i bought a 1972 chevelle 2 dr hardtop in 1995 for $2500 CERTIFIED,it needed work but i drove it for 8 years,started digging into a rebuild/restore and realized it was fubared
(cracked frame,lots of body fill,too many patches,rot)i sold the car for $7500 as is,today that car would be easily $15,000 or more,it was a 72.......i know all about it.

i was just looking at a 4th gen ss ragtop with the ls1 and t56,sunset orange and mint 10,000$ certified(i doubt he will get it)

my old chevelle,payed $2500,sold for $7500 and still miss it.

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-11-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

What a great picture!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Wow what a great pic! I grew up in the 80s around Chevelles, Novas, Impalas, 68 Camaros and such. These Camaros were newer then and I wasn't around them much until I was 8 or 1o yr old. My Dad and uncles raced their cars and I can still imagine the smell of that burnt rubber and racing gas at the drag strip. Good times.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM

thanks,it was a 350,turbo 350,plain jane no option chevelle,even had the horrid drum brakes all the way around.i remember doing a little spirited driving,then hitting the brakes because some idiot pulled out,the brakes locked up and i spun out,lucky i didn't hit anything,lol.
you can see my 1984 berlinneta right beside the chevelle too,i drove that car all year round for 10 years.when i bought it there was 50k on the clock,mint and loaded with the funky pod stereo,digital dash,lg4 305 and 700r4 and the pegleg 2.73 rear.great highway car.

i drove it into the ground then traded it off for next to nothing,hey back then it was just a car.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM

i love the drag strip and spent a lot of time there when i was a kid as well,i was actually at the drag strip when Dick Harrell died although my
memory of it is foggy as i was 6 years old at the time,my brother was 11-12 so he would remind me time to time about it.

a little bit of his history....

Dick Harrell solidified and built upon his reputation in the business world, but his passion for racing would never subside. As he continued his affair
with the drag strip, he was always willing to share his love and knowledge of Chevrolet and drag racing with anyone and everyone who was interested.
Unfortunately, on September 12, 1971, he lost his life in a crash during a race in Toronto, Canada, when a front tire explosion at 220 mph sent Harrell
into a light pole. In the aftermath of the tragic crash, speed-proven front tires were developed for funny cars to prevent similar accidents. Even in death,
Dick Harrell advanced the course of drag racing.