Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine noise/dying issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine noise/dying issue

So I have 2 issues after installing new heads and intake.

1st issue is my car will shut off while i'm driving down the road. When the car dies the engine will shut off and I will lose my electronics but then they come back on and I can start the car while coasting down the road(6 speed manual). Everything worked fine before I swapped heads and intake. Stupid question but could oil leaking on my ground wires at the back of my heads cause me to lose my ground and the car to shut off. I have a leak at both of my valve covers and noticed oil residue on the ground wires.

2nd issue is I have a ticking/tapping noise that seems to get worse the hotter the engine gets. I have Proform 1.6 rollers and I readjusted the valve lash on them to try and get rid of some of the valve train noise. It did quieten them down a little but when the car gets hotter the noise gets louder. Lifters are new as well.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2016, 06:14 AM

Re: Engine noise/dying issue

Checked my ground wires yesterday and one of the wires had a small break in it. I fixed the connection and bolted all of the ground wires back up and took it for a drive. It cut off on me but this time it took a little longer than normal to shut off.

I'm going to try and datalog to see if anything jumps out at me.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Hard to say by "lose electronics"; but if by that you mean that not even the radio works, then grounds, oil leaks, and datalogs are a waste of effort. (which is not to say that those things aren't A Good Idea; only, that they're not going to fix THIS problem)

That'll be a bad connection somewhere in the BIG RED wires. Fusible link, main bulkhead connector, or the like.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Hard to say by "lose electronics"; but if by that you mean that not even the radio works, then grounds, oil leaks, and datalogs are a waste of effort. (which is not to say that those things aren't A Good Idea; only, that they're not going to fix THIS problem)

That'll be a bad connection somewhere in the BIG RED wires. Fusible link, main bulkhead connector, or the like.

Sorry. My dash lights will go off briefly then come back and a briefly flicker. The car will start right back up.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 AM

So I just remembered this morning that I've read that underdrive pulleys will cause a voltage drop and could cause the car to stall and die. I have an underdrive crank pulley on my car. Could this be the reason my car is shutting off?

If it is, would it be best to get the smaller alternator pulley or a stock crank pulley?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 AM

I also noticed yesterday that my belt seems loose according to the marks on the tensioner which I never knew about. A mechanic that had look at it said the belt seemed fine and not loose.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 AM

So I noitced a break in the blue wire at the TPS sensor from me probing the wires trying to set my TPS to .54v. I bought a new connector and connected it to my TPS. I took the car for a drive yesterday for around 30 minutes and it didn't throw any codes and did not shut off on me. Hopefully it's fixed (knock on wood)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Changed my oil and put in 10w30 full synthetic with Marvel Mystery oil. When starting the car, the tick was present when the car first started. The original issue was the ticking would get louder the hotter the engine temp got. I only drove the car about 10 miles and let it idle about 10 minutes on top of that. How long would it take a lifter to become unstuck with the mystery oil?