Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

2 prong oil psi switch [ 7 psi ]

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
2 prong oil psi switch [ 7 psi ]

2 prong oil psi switch [ 7 psi ] would ya use it for the pos + or the neg - ???

40amp inline fuse ?

with more n more miles on the old girl I want to bypass the factory instant start, build oil psi before the pump runs.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: 2 prong oil psi switch [ 7 psi ]

It's basically a normally open or normally closed switch. Somewhere on the switch it should say NO or NC. The position will be when there is pressure on the switch so you would want a normally closed switch and when pressure drops too low, the circuit is opened which will disconnect something to kill the engine. In your case, the circuit would be open until there's enough oil pressure to close the circuit and power up the ignition. You could also install a toggle across the switch to bypass it if there isn't enough oil pressure while cranking. A momentary switch so you don't forget to turn it back off.

A normally open switch can be used to turn on a warning light. When pressure drops, the circuit is closed completing a circuit for a light to come on.

It's simply a pass through switch. Circuit is opened or closed. How you wire it up is up to you. I have one on my car. If oil pressure drops below the setting, it kills power to the ignition. To start the car, I can either crank the engine over long enough to build oil pressure to close the switch or I can use the oil accumulator to pre oil the system before cranking the engine. My accumulator is wired so that as soon as the ignition power is turned on, the accumulator valve opens. This allows me to turn on main power and crank the engine over to prime it before turning on the ignition. With a cold engine, if I try to crank it with the ignition on and give it a shot of gas for priming, it will usually kick back. With no ignition, I can crank the engine over to get fuel in all the cylinders before igniting it. Once the engine has some heat in it, there's no problem cranking it over. I just turn on the main power and ignition power and hit the start button.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Gumby
with more n more miles on the old girl I want to bypass the factory instant start, build oil psi before the pump runs.
Gumby if your that concerned about starting the engine with no oil pressure I suggest you look into the aircraft world and research the pumps we use to provide oil pressure before the crank is moved even 1mm in the starting process . On everything above the size of a Cessna we have no moving parts in the engine whatsoever before there is oil pressure .

With your idea , it's gonna take till cranking the engine over builds enough oil pressure and at the relatively slow speed the starter turns the engine it could actually ADD wear since if it "instantly starts" the second after it does it has oil pressure VS the several seconds of cranking that'll be required till it starts with what you propose .

To run an electric pre oiler pump would be no more plumbing work than adding a remote oil cooler or remote oil filter and your engine would never turn again even one revolution without oil pressure . Overkill ? Hell yea , but when you go talking about delaying starting (and prolonging cranking under no oil pressure conditions) in an attempt to mitigate wear this pre oiler pump is something worth looking into if your actually on an all out crusade to eliminate start up wear due to no oil pressure during the start .

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do ...
Old 10-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

One of these accumulators with an electric valve might work (not the pressure sensing ones) might work for you.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-24-026

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-24270x