Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

83 TA Lower speedo cable anomoly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 FI Crossover
83 TA Lower speedo cable anomoly

Ok, I have an 83 Trans am 305 FI engine with Cruise control. I'm pretty sure i need a replacement lower speedometer cable. Searching on Advance Auto and other sites, i find the same cable (as an exact fit) that has a square shaped inner drive cable. The problem with this is the cable i removed from the lower cable connection point on the transducer has a blue colored spiral gear at the end of the inner drive cable. I cannot find this exact cable anywhere. will the square one referenced above still work? Bottom line is speedo is not working. I have verified speedo, upper cable and transducer ( i can manually spin the lower transducer input and get a response in the speedometer, lower cable spins when in gear but i'm guessing is worn and not meeting properly with transducer input)

Existing lower speedo cable connector at transducer

new upper speedo cable with square inner drive

New transducer
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 83 TA Lower speedo cable anomoly

Looks more like squared end got twisted, the square plastic end gets worn out over time and or something locks up in whole system. Did the old transducer lockup? A regular replacement cable should still work and fit into transducer.
Joe