Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Tall center bolt valve covers fitment and clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tall center bolt valve covers fitment and clearance

Want if any fitment issues does any one have with tall center bolt valve covers?
I know it is tight on washer pump mounted on wiper motor cover. These are stamped steel 3 and 3/8" tall. Fit into 86 l31 with 91 factory serpentine belt set up with a/c. I know a later flat wiper cover with pump in jug can also be used. Any pictures would help.
Thanks Joe
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Tall center bolt valve covers fitment and clearance

I put tall valve covers on my 305tpi and ran into a bunch of clearance issues. I had to remove the ac compressor on the driver side and finagle it over the last rocker arm while being held down by the wiper motor to get them in/out. The passenger side was a nightmare due to the smog pipes that come up right behind the head, ended up cutting those.

If you have a Vortec l31 in your car then I'm sure you don't have any emissions junk getting in the way, that makes it a whole lot better than my situation. If you were to get rid of the wiper/washer fluid motor combo then you would most likely be fine
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tall center bolt valve covers fitment and clearance

I was looking at a later wiper motor cover and moving washer pump to later jug. V8 swap it's done yet, still running and driving v6. It will be carbed L31 with up graded cam with 10" stall converter. Thanks for your reply.
Joe