Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Dropping the tank. Lift or on jackstands?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Dropping the tank. Lift or on jackstands?

So my gas gauge reads either at "E" or just below a quarter tank when full . I'm at the point where it's time to fix this issue.

The PO told me he had the fuel pump replaced during the time he owned it. I bought it with the gauge not reading properly and I've been driving it with the old every 180 miles re-fill method. Now that I've cleared off most of the important mechanical issues I'm ready to drop the tank and replace the fuel sending unit.

For those who have done this job with the car on jack stands would it have been easier/quicker if you had access to a car lift?

I have access to a lift and tools on base for $5 an hour but I prefer to use my own tools in my own garage. If it's significantly easier to do the job utilizing a lift I may go that route.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: Dropping the tank. Lift or on jackstands?

I've never done it with a lift. I would think the most important issue would be handling it while it's loose from the car. Shops typically have a pedestal jack they can use to support it while the car is up high. I used a floor transmission jack with the car on jack stands, because that's what I have.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: Twin turbo L31 HSR
Transmission: 700R4 w ProBuilt
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 4.11

I had the same problem, went thru all the tests (searched here) and figured out it was the sending unit so down came the tank. I don't have access to a lift so it made the decision easy, I have all the tools and I do have 3 ton jack stands. I slid a square of 2x6 under each of the jack stands for extra clearance but I had lots of room to drop everything. It was nice to take my time, check out other stuff, clean up the under body, wire brush and spray paint the gas tank, change the fuel filter, etc., etc. I think if I was using somebody else's lift, free or not, I'd be hustling along just trying to get the job done fast.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: Twin turbo L31 HSR
Transmission: 700R4 w ProBuilt
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 4.11

And give this a quick read too if you want. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...l-sending.html

Even though I had bought a new sending unit, I used the above to fix my old one, just not brave enough to slap it back in the car...
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

I did mine at work with a lift and a transmission jack. First time I have done a fuel pump on a third gen. Took me almost 3 hours but a good portion of that was spent welding flanges on my exhaust so I can unbolt it if future problems come up.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by brian p
And give this a quick read too if you want. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...l-sending.html

Even though I had bought a new sending unit, I used the above to fix my old one, just not brave enough to slap it back in the car...

Thanks for that link.

Sounds like the lift method maybe simpler. Spend $30 to save a 3-4 hours time.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

I replaced my leaking fuel tank (filler neck) with the back end of the car on jack stands.

The tank came out with no problem, but for some reason, I had to drop the rear axle to maneuver the tank back in.

No, I didn't replace the fuel pump. It only had 21k miles on it.