Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Ran fine then just stopped turning over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Car Ran fine then just stopped turning over?

Hey Y'all,

I drove my car about 3 hours one way and she ran just fine. Stopped once to get gas and ran the same after that. Finally got to where I was going and when it was time to head back, she wouldn't even turn over. I replaced the starter, the ignition switch, and the neutral safety switch. Thinking it might be the coil now? Waiting to test my new ignition switch but I ran into a problem. When replacing my ignition switch, the ignition actuator rod disconnected from the ignition key lock cylinder and I am trying to reattach it. I have removed the steering wheel and have loosened the first housing but I can not seem to get the housing completely off. The turn signal is preventing it from sliding all the way off. Also, once this is removed, there is another housing that needs to be removed (circular one further down the column) and I am not sure how to remove this. Any advice on these issues? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Car Ran fine then just stopped turning over?

It won't turn over, or it won't fire?

Turn signal stalk will pull straight out. (carefully) Then you can get the cover off, that should be all the further you need to go.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: V6
Transmission: Auto
Re: Car Ran fine then just stopped turning over?

It won't turn over. I'll turn the key and nothing will happen, not even the notorious "click click" and I had my battery tested so I know it isnt that. Thank you, I'll give it a try

Last edited by My82Berlinetta; 07-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.