Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

88 camaro 5.7l engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 camaro 5.7l engine knock

engine knock developed , sounds like it's coming from the front low in the motor. Only happens when car is WARM and only at IDLE. Also when I pull the belt off , the noise completely goes away. It sounds exactly like a rod knock . The car has great oil pressure and it does NOT GET LOUDER WITH RPMS. The only way I can get the noise to change is if I put more tension on the belt or take it completely off . I thought it was a bad accesory or something so I replaces the harmonic balancer , ps pump , and water pump but no cigar . Any suggestions ?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 88 camaro 5.7l engine knock

First time using this site , my last hope to figuring out this knocking issue that has developed.
So here we go...
1988 Iroc 5.7 manual ( 350 swap car ) AC deleted .... only makes the knocking sound when WARM and ONLY at IDLE .
Ive ruled out all of the flex plate issues because the noise completely goes away when you take the belt off. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine , so I thought for sure accessories. So I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump ( made no difference ) , replaced the water pump ( no difference again ) , and the thermostat ( no difference I read somewhere that the springs stick?) . The car has great oil pressure and runs great minus the knock. It sounds exactly like a bad rod bearing but it makes no sense as to why you pull the belt off and it totally goes away. I also just tried replacing the harmonic balancer and that made no difference either. I've run out of ideas , any suggestions ? The only time I can get the noise to change is when I put MORE tension on the belt or take the belt completely off. Could my crank be walking ??