Slow to start when warm - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards


Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Slow to start when warm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Slow to start when warm

I have an 88camaro with the 5.7 and 18k on the odometer and when it has been sitting long enough to be considered "cold" it starts up faster than my DD. Now, when it sits for a few hours or less and is still "hot" it takes much longer to start. It cranks fast just wont catch. I would say it takes a max of 5 seconds to go. The car runs great other than that. It seems like it might be running rich, but after it runs for about 5-10 seconds the gas and small amount of smoke out of the exhaust stops.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

On a side note, does anyone have any opinions of the venting gas caps? I've read mixed reviews/opinions on them.

Thank you!
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 18,267


Re: Slow to start when warm

Welcome Aboard!

The hard starting when warm is frequently a symptom of injectors or the fuel pressure regulator leaking down.

If your EVAP system is intact they is no need to install a venting gas cap. The tank pressure control will prevent it from drawing a vacuum and will regulate maximum tank pressure to a safe level.
Vader is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Welcome Aboard!

The hard starting when warm is frequently a symptom of injectors or the fuel pressure regulator leaking down.

If your EVAP system is intact they is no need to install a venting gas cap. The tank pressure control will prevent it from drawing a vacuum and will regulate maximum tank pressure to a safe level.
Thank you! So would that mean that new injectors are needed if that is that cause?
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Bob88GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 3,196
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27


Re: Slow to start when warm

Yes. Get some Bosch III's from Southbay Fuel Injectors. You won't regret it.
Bob88GTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
Yes. Get some Bosch III's from Southbay Fuel Injectors. You won't regret it.
Thanks, I was only able to find the re-manufactured ones on that site. So I might be missing something. I did find them at Fuel Injector Connection.

Might order both replacement parts so this wouldnt have to be looked into further. Also this looks pretty intensive and may have to find a local pro to take care of this.
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Bob88GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 3,196
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27


Re: Slow to start when warm

At Southbay they are rebuilt and flow matched for about 165
Bob88GTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
At Southbay they are rebuilt and flow matched for about 165
How's the quality for rebuilt ones? I wouldn't mind saving half of what brand new ones are.
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Bob88GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 3,196
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27


Re: Slow to start when warm

I bought 2 sets, 22lb and 19lb No problems

Call them up and speak to them. Tell them your a member here for a discount. They are pretty good group
Bob88GTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
I bought 2 sets, 22lb and 19lb No problems

Call them up and speak to them. Tell them your a member here for a discount. They are pretty good group
ok great, thank you! I will get a hold of them. Hopefully this helps the issue I am having.
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
Sponsor
 
southbay08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 1,222

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjerzy View Post
How's the quality for rebuilt ones? I wouldn't mind saving half of what brand new ones are.

all of our injectors are cleaned, tested dynamically and matched in sets in house.
They come with a 3 year warranty. If we can answer any questions for you feel free to contact us at 516-442-4707 we'll be more than happy to help you.
southbay08 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbay08 View Post
all of our injectors are cleaned, tested dynamically and matched in sets in house.
They come with a 3 year warranty. If we can answer any questions for you feel free to contact us at 516-442-4707 we'll be more than happy to help you.
Thanks for the reply! What would be the best way to go about getting what is needed and has been suggested in this thread? Sorry, I'm unable to call as I am at work.
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Sponsor
 
southbay08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 1,222

Re: Slow to start when warm

do you have a paypal account? I can send you an invoice and will be able to include the 10% tgo discount...unfortunately the option for a promo code has not been working on our website. Hopefully that site is going to be history within the next month or so. I would just need your paypal address or you can order them off of our website. They are the 22lb Bosch lll injectors. You can find them in the TPi category.
southbay08 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7

Re: Slow to start when warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbay08 View Post
do you have a paypal account? I can send you an invoice and will be able to include the 10% tgo discount...unfortunately the option for a promo code has not been working on our website. Hopefully that site is going to be history within the next month or so. I would just need your paypal address or you can order them off of our website. They are the 22lb Bosch lll injectors. You can find them in the TPi category.
I have sent you a PM.

Thank you
pjerzy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.


All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: