Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

fuel delivery options i have, whats my best route?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro Sport coupe
Engine: LG4
Transmission: overdrive auto> want a 5spd
fuel delivery options i have, whats my best route?

I've got an 86 sport coupe that had the 2.8 EFI (that's important because the lines current plumbing is for that) I bought it mid tear down so the motor was already half out. bought a wrecked 83 Firebird "350" that i should have looked at a bit closer i know they didn't have those stock in 83 but people do swaps all the time.... look at what i'm attempting, any way, another story for later. my question is should i run the hot wire from the electric fuel pump the v6 used to an accessory fuse, and use a fuel pressure reg so not to blow out my carbs seals or old style sending unit and re-plumb my fuel lines to the block mounted pump?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s
Re: fuel delivery options i have, whats my best route?

Originally Posted by Robert Stack
I've got an 86 sport coupe that had the 2.8 EFI (that's important because the lines current plumbing is for that) I bought it mid tear down so the motor was already half out. bought a wrecked 83 Firebird "350" that i should have looked at a bit closer i know they didn't have those stock in 83 but people do swaps all the time.... look at what i'm attempting, any way, another story for later. my question is should i run the hot wire from the electric fuel pump the v6 used to an accessory fuse, and use a fuel pressure reg so not to blow out my carbs seals or old style sending unit and re-plumb my fuel lines to the block mounted pump?
I did a 385 swap into my v6 car in the spring here is what I did.

Left the ecm intact. So anytime i turn the key on the fuel pump still primes and so forth. Left the oem relays as well.

All I did is buy a Holley regulator that was made to accept up to 60 psi supply and knock it down to 4 5 6 7 psi or what ever you will be running with a carb. The cheapest one I could fine was the holley and it cost like 130 bucks. But it works flawless.

The 3/8 supply line is way more then enough to supply 500hp 600hp easy when it's at the stock 42.5 give or take pressure. I ran 6an line out of the regulator to a dual feed Holley 750 carb. I run mid 11s and never had any issue maintaining fuel pressure. The regulator also is a return style so you'll hook it to your stock 5/16th inch return line as well.

If you can zoom in the bottom pic you can see the regulator.
Also I've ran a walbro 255lph pump for many many years in the car.

I took a Turbo v6 and swapped in this v8 in like 8 hrs of work. Very easy to do exspecially if your k member had the holes for the v6 and the v8 mounts. All you do is remove the v6 mounts and then bolt on the v8 ones.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro Sport coupe
Engine: LG4
Transmission: overdrive auto> want a 5spd

yea the mounts from the donor car fit perfectly love that gm pretty much drilled all the holes for every possible application they offered, im wondering why i dont get my prime then when i turn the key. thats a new line of thought ill have to explore. i appreciate that. (side note the motor mount bolts on the sub frame were a pain... ended up using fishing line and the bolts are upside down)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Originally Posted by Robert Stack
yea the mounts from the donor car fit perfectly love that gm pretty much drilled all the holes for every possible application they offered, im wondering why i dont get my prime then when i turn the key. thats a new line of thought ill have to explore. i appreciate that. (side note the motor mount bolts on the sub frame were a pain... ended up using fishing line and the bolts are upside down)
Yea it's hard to change the mounts with the arms and springs on there. Pita!!!

Did the previous owner mess with the stock wiring?