Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

engine coolant tempature sensor

Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1989 iroc z
Engine: 5.7
engine coolant tempature sensor

When I plug in my tech1 scanner my engine coolant is reading is 115 degrees Fahrenheit when the engine is cold (160 degree tstat). It goes up to 246 degrees when the engine is warmed up. Guage is reading normal. Went through the service manual and did all the tests. even with the sensor unplugged I still get the readings above. Manual says I should have 5 volts at sensor connector but I only have 4 volts. Could this cause a no start issue? Manual says fuel will be cut back if operating tempature is too high? But at 119 it should work.It says it should drop to 0 degrees when I unplug sensor but it is not dropping. (yes I am testing the right sensor). any help appreciated. Bad ECM?

Last edited by dm3k; 10-16-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: engine coolant tempature sensor

Originally Posted by dm3k
.....Gauge is reading normal...
When you say "Gauge reading is normal" that does call into question if your at the correct sender , because the gauge sender isn't involved with the ECM , which has it's own sender separate from the gauge .
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1989 iroc z
Engine: 5.7
Re: engine coolant tempature sensor

Definitely have the right coolant sensor on the front of the block. It's the one that goes directly to the ecm. Tech 1 still shows a reading even with it unplugged. Manual says it should go to 0.Also only getting 4 volts to it instead of 5. Wondering if their is a problem with ecm. after doing the troubleshoot from the manual it seems to lead to that.

Search this Thread