Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1986 Trans AM: Let's play guess that wire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350-TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
1986 Trans AM: Let's play guess that wire!

So it's been a few months since I've acquired Trans AM #2. This one is a 1986
305 NON-HO car. Carb/Auto. Very clean, but needs mechanical help. I'm currently cleaning up some wiring issues and I've encountered 3 plugs I can't quite identify, even with the help of the FSM.

#1. The first is yellow and purple. Someone put a jumper in it so it will crank in any gear. Removing the jumper will prevent cranking. The other end of the wires are connected to the trans range sensor. Looks like they have continuity.
What is this supposed to plug into? The only clue I had from the FSM was a clutch safety switch. This car looks like it was born an automatic, so not sure why it would have a plug for a clutch safety switch. I'd like to get it back to stock (read:safe). It reaches to roughly the steering column. Looking around, I didn't see anything it could plug into.

Any ideas?

#2. This is more a curiousity thing. A brown and brown white wire connected by a diode near the previously mentioned wire. Looks unaltered from stock, but no idea what it's for. I'll keep combing the FSM, but if someone knows...

#3. Purple/white wire. Per the FSM, this appears to be a crank signal for an EFI car. Not sure why a carbed VIN H car would have it, but I assume that they consolidated certain parts of the wiring to save money. It's not connected to anything, of course. Safe assumption? LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: 1986 Trans AM: Let's play guess that wire!

Purple/yellow neutral safety switch at the clutch pedal.

Diode, beats me but it's normal. Put a piece of black duct tape back around it like it was, and leave it be.

Last one looks a lot like the wire to the rear defroster. Check your shop manual for that wiring diagram and see if it matches up.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Purple/yellow neutral safety switch at the clutch pedal.
That's what I thought, but why on earth would an automatic car have a clutch switch? It's possible that it was a manual car, but I can't find any evidence of a swap. All the wiring for the automatic is in place. Strange.

Diode, beats me but it's normal. Put a piece of black duct tape back around it like it was, and leave it be.
Not sure why the tape was removed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last one looks a lot like the wire to the rear defroster. Check your shop manual for that wiring diagram and see if it matches up.
I'll check that section. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

Originally Posted by backtothe80s
That's what I thought, but why on earth would an automatic car have a clutch switch? It's possible that it was a manual car, but I can't find any evidence of a swap. All the wiring for the automatic is in place. Strange.
Same reason my T5 car has wires for the TCC on the brake switch and some for cruise and Bose radio, even tho it wasn't optioned for it. They used the same harness for all similar cars, just cheaper for production. You'll find numerous connectors that don't plug into anything. Cars with that option would have a module or another harness that plugs in there.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by GMan 3MT
Same reason my T5 car has wires for the TCC on the brake switch and some for cruise and Bose radio, even tho it wasn't optioned for it. They used the same harness for all similar cars, just cheaper for production. You'll find numerous connectors that don't plug into anything. Cars with that option would have a module or another harness that plugs in there.
Makes sense. The plug has a jumper in it. I'm thinking there's a problem with the range sensor and the previous owner didn't address the issue.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

That diode may be for isolation of the potential residual AC from the alternator. See sheet 134 in the service manual electrical diagrams.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
That diode may be for isolation of the potential residual AC from the alternator. See sheet 134 in the service manual electrical diagrams.
Yup. Right on the money. Thanks!