Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hard throttle miss or stumble

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: SLP dana 44 3.92
Hard throttle miss or stumble

So I recently picked up a new project from another tgo member. It's an 87 iroc z and it has a pretty hot motor in it. The car sat for 7-8 years, in a heated garage, but none the less it sat. It lost a distributor and that's what led to it sitting. I got it, put a distributor in it, plugged everything back in as best as I could and have been working on it the last week. I got it running, and idling and driving great under light throttle. But once you get into the throttle hard it has a strange cough from about 2500-3000 until about 5000 then it clears up. But... here's the catch. Every once and a while it will just zing right up and have no stumble and run like a scalded cat. It has a ZZ4 short block, AFR 195's, a 224/230 comp roller, an SLP t ram intake, headers, etc. it had a number of vacuum leaks when I first got it fired and I am reasonably certain they are all cleared up. I thought it was just the bad fuel or sticky injectors, but after running over a full tank of fresh fuel, with cleaning additive, and putting about 50 miles on it, I have to say I think it runs too good at light throttle to be a fuel issue. It has a 255 pump in it too. I did notice a decent amount of pressure building up in the fuel tank. Not sure if that's s huge issue or not.

It had an MSD ignition in it. 6AL box, distributor, and blaster coil, along with an MSD noise filter, and wires. It also has the MSD plug MSD plate tpi harness. The MSD distributor was dead, so I replaced it with a new stock distributor. I tried disconnecting the 6AL box and that didn't help either. The car really likes timing. It seems to run best at 12-14 degrees with the brown wire disconnected. 0-5 degrees it dies when you put it in gear, and 8-10 degrees it runs and idles but doesn't sound as crisp at an idle as it does at 12-14.

The motor was hot when I stopped on it today and I will pull a couple plugs tomorrow morning when I get to my shop and see how they look. Just looking for ideas on what issues it might be?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Hard throttle miss or stumble

I'd be completely out of my element, but I'd probably start by taking everything back to baseline. I mean set the distributor to TDC on #1, make sure it's oriented correctly, and doublecheck the firing order. Warm the engine up and set the timing to stock (*6 isn't it?), reset the IAC/Minimum Air/throttle stop, reset the TPS voltage, and go from there. Now I might be all wet, because who knows what ECM or chip the car is running, or anything else for that matter, but I'd want to verify everything is set by the book before chasing any issues. If you've already done all that, then disregard.

I've had issues with injectors causing missing at idle, or problems that come and go.... Had fuel pumps that run fine 90% of the time and choke the rest of the time. Work through it logically, and you'll either find the intermittent problem, or maybe it'll get bad enough it'll out itself with a trouble code and a service engine light. In the meantime you can keep occupied by checking ground wires, ground cables, battery cables, etc etc etc.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:03 PM

So the ground on the back of the head is good, to the firewall, the fender ground off the negative cable is good, double checked distributor orientation and its spot on, as well as the firing order. I pulled a plug and it looks totally decent. Dry and colored nicely. It's got NGK FR4's in it. I'm going to check the throttle position voltages and see what that looks like. I'm also going to pull the cap and wires back off and stuff my head back on the back of the T ram and take a closer look at all of the vacuum hoses and what not going on back there. The MAF also has me wondering. The part that is strange to me is how it clears up at high RPM
Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 PM

The chip is an ed Wright tune that worked worth this exact setup before so I'm fairly certain it should be close on the tune
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 652 Likes on 576 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

It would be odd to have a injector cause the stumble or hesitation at just that rpm range.
Have you checked the fuel pressure for rapid leakdown after the prime. Normally it should bleed down in 5-10 min. If it’s bleeding down faster I would suspect a leaking injector. Datalogging would be helpful to try to track down the problem. It’s hard to say what mask ed used but I’d suspect since you don’t have a ninth injector he used 89 $6e mask.tuner pro rt is a great tool as well as moates.net xtreme aldl cable .
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

My GTA which had a similar set up would occasionally take a break like that, whenever the EGR cut in it would run like crap, then come back. Mine had a Siamese runner set up on trick flow heads and similar cam. I think the egr coming open caused a feed back loop which caused the comp to cut fuel back took out the EGR and it quit doing it.

Last edited by mmadden55; 06-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.