Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Alternator not charging.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: 5.7 Tpi
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42?
Alternator not charging.

I guess I have what you would say is a 4 wire alternator, one big red wire on the post that goes to the battery, a connector with 3 wires(red,brown/white, and brown).

With key on I have volts at the red wire in the connector, nothing really on the brown or brown/white. I spliced the brown/white wire to key on voltage and the alternator charges. I would like to use the factory wire touring and not do a hack job. For some reason I am not getting key on power to the brown/white wire and I believe that wire runs to the ign switch? The car is an 88, the motor is an 87 and the only wiring diagram that I found that looks like what I have is an 86 diagram I don't want to burn up the alternator seeing as the brown/white wire has a resistance wire? Is anyone familiar with this set up and wiring? Everything I read through only talks about something that I don't have or was never resolved when the post ended. Also the gauge does work. I followed the brown/white wire and it goes into the big connector at the firewall by the brake booster but I have no idea where it leads to. I checked all the fuses and they were fine.
Attached Thumbnails Alternator not charging.-photo595.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Car: 87 camaro
Engine: 350
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: auburn 4.10
Re: Alternator not charging.

I rewired mine a while ago because it was hacked up when i bought the car. I watched this video probably 20 times to understand how the wiring works on a gm 3 wire.

alternator.

In video that house wall switch he used would be your ignition key switch. The light bulb would be your brake light in your dash. I think that bulb needs to be working for charging system to work. when you turn key on(engine not running) does that brake warning light come on? If not bulb may be blown and replacement may fix problem.

My car works as follows.

1-turn key on. brake dummy light illuminates

2-start engine. brake dummy light turns off once alternator starts spinning.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Old 11-01-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by krisner89
I rewired mine a while ago because it was hacked up when i bought the car. I watched this video probably 20 times to understand how the wiring works on a gm 3 wire.

alternator.

In video that house wall switch he used would be your ignition key switch. The light bulb would be your brake light in your dash. I think that bulb needs to be working for charging system to work. when you turn key on(engine not running) does that brake warning light come on? If not bulb may be blown and replacement may fix problem.

My car works as follows.

1-turn key on. brake dummy light illuminates

2-start engine. brake dummy light turns off once alternator starts spinning.
I will check that out! Thanks!