Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cam degreeing double check

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam degreeing double check

Tip of the day. When ever degreeing a cam in and you're second guessing yourself. The best way to double check is to put # 1 piston at TDC in over lap and put both lifters in for #1 cylinder, If the cam has 4 degrees advance built into it and you put a straight edge across the 2 lifters and the intake lifter is .020 to .035 higher then the exhaust lifter your fine. If the cam has no advance ground in both lifter should be appox. the same height. If the cam is retarded the exhaust lifter will be higher then the intake lifter. Before degree wheels and indicators were around this use to be the old fashion way of checking to see where the cam was installed. Learned this many years ago from an old timer. This does apply to BB's its a little more complex as the lifter do not run inline with each other. You have to use 2 indicators or record the two heights in over lap and compare.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Cam degreeing double check

Thanks! I'm definitely going to use that. Makes sense although I imagine the exact height difference depends on the cam grind? How does a split duration grind affect it? Would that potentially invalidate the test? I guess I'm asking what types of cams would this potentially be a bad idea to use this method on?

GD
Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cam degreeing double check

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
Thanks! I'm definitely going to use that. Makes sense although I imagine the exact height difference depends on the cam grind? How does a split duration grind affect it? Would that potentially invalidate the test? I guess I'm asking what types of cams would this potentially be a bad idea to use this method on?

GD
So far it has worked on every cam I have ever de-greed in.Marine you name, Harold Brookshire that use to own Ultadyne cams taught me this method of checking to see if you in the right direction.