Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car won't star after I replaced fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't star after I replaced fuel filter

I have a 1990 Iroc-Z TPI 305 and the car was idling and would stall and then wouldn't start backup like it wasn't getting fuel. I got a replacement fuel filter thinking that was the culprit. I took the old one off and I could barely blow through it. A bunch of fuel came out of the lines. I replaced the filter and now the car won't start. I tried to prime it by turning the key a few different times but it just won't start. Should I use starting fluid to help or any other suggestions?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Car won't star after I replaced fuel filter

No , you don't need starting fluid , what you need first and foremost is a fuel pressure test , your injector rail has a port (valve kinda like a tire valve) to hook a pressure gauge up to . Your local auto parts store will rent you the gauge if you don't want to buy one (although buying one isn't a waste of money by any means if your gonna be working on it much) .....
Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Thanks Orange bird I bought one and I just have to try it when I get home I'll let you know how it goes
Old 02-18-2019, 06:07 PM

Ok I'm getting 0psi lol I wonder.. when I took the filter off it started flowing from the tank line then stopped by itself.. you think some old fuel slime plugged the line tank side? Would it be free flowing from the tank with the car off? Like siphoning itself or does it need the pump going? I swapped the 2 same relays under the hood.. no difference.. when I unplug the fuel pump in line fuse by the battery good.. and when I plug it back in I hear a click from one of the relays like its receiving power. All I can think is its plugged pre filter..
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Can you hear the 2 second pump prime ?
You can use a test light to verify power to the pump at the rear connector under the car that goes to the sender. It should be a grey wire or tan with white stripe. If you don’t have a helper you can jumper the ops to power the pump. Or some pump relays have a red lead that you can apply power directly to the pump.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 PM

I hear a fuel pump kick on for a few seconds when I turn my key to acc. And if I'm turning the motor over after I stop I hear a fuel pump that goes for maybe a second after I stop cranking the car, then it quits. What's the ops? Original power supply? I'm not too mechanical but I want to avoid taking this thing to another mechanic. I will try to jack the car up and check for power at the plug by the fuel tank
Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Sponsor

Ops=oil pressure switch. On your car I think it’s above the oil filter. It has 2-3 wires. Blue for a gauge or idiot light. Tan/white or grey to the pump and orange hot from the battery. The fuse you checked.Jumper the orange and tan/white or orange and great what ever it is. This will supply the pump with 12v. If you hear the pump run but no pressure at the test port on the fuel rail your pump is bad.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Thank you for that info Tuned Performance. I just jumped it and the pump turned on but still 0psi at the Schrader valve guess I need a pump.. the guy I bought it from showed me a receipt of a new pump install he paid for but looks like I'm in need of a new one. Now do I cut the top? Or get an after market pump that you core into the tank.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Sponsor

I would drop the tank. This requires the exhaust to be dropped. Rear shocks disconnected and if I recall the sway bar end links. A acdelco ep241 is a good replacement pump.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by DrtRkr
Thank you for that info Tuned Performance. I just jumped it and the pump turned on but still 0psi at the Schrader valve guess I need a pump.. the guy I bought it from showed me a receipt of a new pump install he paid for but looks like I'm in need of a new one. Now do I cut the top? Or get an after market pump that you core into the tank.
Hi , me again .

Sorry to keep saying no , but , , , No , I would not cut a hole to get to the fuel pump and recommend that you do not either . You could , if your curious , lift up the rear carpet to check if some previous owner has cut it , but if it's uncut you'd spend about the same time cutting holes and dinking with cutting and splicing the four metal fuel lines as you would doing it right (dropping the rear axle & exhaust about a foot or so) . This has been debated in countless threads here and the general consensus is usually in favor of not cutting . If the previous owner had a pump installed the question is , what kind of pump ? A cheap "Airtex" pump or a better (Bosch perhaps) one ? If it's a cheap one sure it could have failed that quickly but if it's a decent one perhaps the rubber fuel line that connects the pump to the metal tubing on the sending unit/pump assembly has failed or wasn't connected correctly when the new pump was installed .
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 PM

It has new end links so maybe it was done correctly I'll have to check tomorrow. I just had a shop see why the fuel gauge wasn't working so they had to drop the tank and charge me for all that labor. Of course it runs until I get it home then breaks wth.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Sponsor

Another thing to watch for when doing the pump install . There is a pulse dampener in front of the pump to keep noise from traveling down the fuel line. This is a common point of leaking. I always toss the pulsator and install a high pressure hose with clamps in its place.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info.. I will replace that and I heard it's a good idea to replace the harness inside the tank while in there? I will be doing it the right way the first time. Also should I get a new tank or put cleaner in mine to make sure its clean?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Sponsor

The tank should be clean unless the car has sat for a long period of time.
Depending on what pump is in there the harness inside the tank might need to be spliced to incorporate the right connector.
If the pump requires a different than stock plug it comes with the pump. If the sender for the gauge is bad you should buy a new sender.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ding+unit,4436
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the info.. I really appreciate it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM

I pulled the fuel filter again and no more fuel from the tank side.. slid back tapped on the fuel tank.. hollow smh.. apparently they never fixed the fuel gauge and barely put enough fuel to get me home.. I called and told them I'd been messing with it all week. Then they said no we couldn't fix it. The gauge is bad. Can I get a old replacement. Or do I have to swap a complete cluster?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Sponsor

The gauge is no longer made. You can post a ad in the classified wanted section.
The gauge can be changed in the cluster or you can swap in a whole cluster.
Iirc the gauge is 0-90 ohms. 90 when full. You can use a potentiometer to simulate the gauge or use resistors to see if it’s the gauge or the sender. The sender wire should be pink.

Last edited by Tuned Performance; 02-27-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Man I really appreciate all this information