Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power Steering Pump Mounting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Power Steering Pump Mounting Issue

Hello all,

I went to swap out my water pump today and found that there is a difference between my new one and existing one regarding the hole for the power steering pump bracket.

See the attached pictures. My power steering pump has two lower brackets. The one closest to the block is threaded. The bolt goes through the front bracket, through the pass-through hole on the water pump and then threads into the back bracket.

My new water pump doesn't have a pass-through hole but instead a threaded hole. I'm not sure the best way mount the power steering pump now, or if I even had it right to begin with. Is there a different type of bracket I should be using? Or does this hole need to be drilled out? I certainly don't want to damage a brand new pump.

Mike
Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Power Steering Pump Mounting Issue

Just get a shorter bolt and bolt it to the water pump, or drill the threads out and use the old bolt.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Power Steering Pump Mounting Issue

Because I'm old and can't remember anything for sh*t, I went back and looked at all my purchases from when I built the car. Turns out, I bought a bracket & pulley kit from Summit, and in the instructions, it specifically says "later model water pumps with threaded holes have to be drilled out so the bolt can slide through." So that's what I'm going to do.