Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stumble when warming up and driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI
Stumble when warming up and driving

My engine is a 305 TBI 92 RS. I've been getting a "stumble" while warming up, and when I'm driving. It seems to occur when it is raining, or just rained. I've replaced every sensor under the sun in the last couple of years, EGR included. I'm not getting a check engine light either. I suspect the coil, but I'm stumped. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stumble when warming up and driving

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "stumble"?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Wickydooda
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "stumble"?
I'll give it a shot: When I am driving, and the engine is warming up it will hesitate, run right briefly, then hesitate, then it clears up about when I go into closed loop. I have almost determined that moisture is a factor. When I get a dry spell, I don't have the problem. When I accelerate it seems to behave better than when I am driving slowly. When I pull out on my road, or creeping through a parking lot is when I have it. Most of the time when I start and drive, I can't go fast due to where I am driving.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM

I had this same problem with my 89 camaro. Replaced the same sensors, distributor, etc. , I put a hose to the engine bay and sprayed areas until it started to stumble. It ended up being a wiring harness that went along the passenger side cowl , I followed it down into the passenger fender and from there it went into the passenger side interior and under the dash. I pulled the wire loom and the plastic inner fender cover off and where it passed into the interior the coating on the wires was bare thus causing a short when water got on it. I chased this problem for 5 years.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by wisemanz28
I had this same problem with my 89 camaro. Replaced the same sensors, distributor, etc. , I put a hose to the engine bay and sprayed areas until it started to stumble. It ended up being a wiring harness that went along the passenger side cowl , I followed it down into the passenger fender and from there it went into the passenger side interior and under the dash. I pulled the wire loom and the plastic inner fender cover off and where it passed into the interior the coating on the wires was bare thus causing a short when water got on it. I chased this problem for 5 years.
Just to let you know, one if the as wires coming off the IAC pigtail was against the EGR. It was burnt with wire exposed. The issue comes and goes, but it hasn't stumbled yet. Maybe this was causing my issue. I'll see how it goes.