Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help! Belts snapped and I don't know which ones they are.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help! Belts snapped and I don't know which ones they are.

I was driving with moderate throttle, and at about 3k rpm a belt snapped. From what I can tell, It's the A/C belt and the air pump? belt. Not sure what an air pump is...some googling says its for emissions? My car is exempt since it's antique so if there's no issues with having the belt off, I'll just leave it off. As for the A/C belt, the A/C didn't work in the first place, so I don't really care. I was able to fire the car right up and drive it home normally, but it was only a ~2mile drive.

Can anyone identify the missing belts and let me know if it's safe to drive? The first photo shows the location where the belt that snapped was. The second one is an older photo that shows the belt that came off when the other snapped.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Help! Belts snapped and I don't know which ones they are.

yep,A.I.R. pump belt off,A/C belt flipped over(,but is intact?) as long as the water pump turns you are good.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi

Man you are supposed to put on fresh belts BEFORE they break. Maintenance item. Like you put new tires before the old ones blow out.

And put them on correctly not flipped upside down. good grief.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I got the car a couple months ago and the mechanic who did the pre-inspection told me about it. (So for the record i wasn't the idgit who put the A/C belt on backwards.) I put the repair off and this is what I get. The Smog Pump belt was totally intact and fine; I didn't see any wear on the belt so I went ahead and put it back on. So now I'm just missing the A/C belt , which like I said my A/C doesn't work, so I don't notice a difference. Car seems fine so with the smog pump running again I should be good to go.