Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car runs better with vacuum hose disconnected from egr?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevy Iroc Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
car runs better with vacuum hose disconnected from egr?

So, I was having a weird cooling problem with my car the other day. It runs about 220 on the highway which to me seems a bit high. After about 40 minutes and this happens all the time it slowly creeps up to around 230 maybe 235? Last year I redid the intake manifold, new radiator and a new thermostat and flushed the system. So I was about 3 miles from home and the temp went past 240. I got into the garage and coolant was spraying from the top of the coolant reservoir which was actually boiling. I let it sit overnight cleaned everything with hose water let it dry and started it up. there are no leaks anywhere and I find nothing wrong with the water pump. I just don't know what the hell is making it so hot? So anyhow while I was going through checking for hoses and leaks I found the vacuum hose from the egr disconnected. Of course I reconnected it. Took the car out and it just runs like trash. every time I come to a stop it idles too low and dies? The heating problem got a little better the cars running about 230 now and not overheating but with the low idle and stalling at stops its pretty much undriveable. So I am going to pull the vacuum line back off the egr? anyone ever hear of this? So 2 problems running too hot and the egr. Anyhow thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi
Re: car runs better with vacuum hose disconnected from egr?

EGR should be shut off at idle. Sounds like a problem with the EGR solenoid.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:54 PM

Car: 1987 Chevy Iroc Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Re: car runs better with vacuum hose disconnected from egr?

Thank you, I will check that out this weekend.