Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Is duralube worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROCZ
Engine: LB9....rebuilding coming soon
Transmission: rebuilt 700R4
Is duralube worth it???

Is it worth the $20 kit from KMART?? I plan on changing my oil when I get my car back out of the body shop in a few days,also my engine burns a little oil onstartup,is there anything to help curb this while I save up for a valve guide and seal job???
Old 01-16-2002, 12:25 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
UROCME,

Duralube is great stuff! It has been proven to be one of the most profitable products for a previously unknown company, and sales continue to remain steady. Their marketing theory is based solely on the Barnum Principle, and numerous personal testimonial have indicated that the product will continue to sell well for the foreseeable future. The irrefutable circular logic employed to explain the benefits of the product are certainly compelling to those hopeful laymen wishing to "save" their engines. Yes, Duralube is a great product - if you're selling it.

For the buyer, the greatest advantage to Duralube is the satisfaction and peace of mind of having done something "good" for your engine. It's the same kind of peace that a mouse enjoys as it frolics through the field without so much as a cat in sight, completely oblivious to the fact that the hawk bearing down on him from above is about to scoop him up as an afternoon snack. Yup, real peace of mind (or as we call it, ignorant bliss).

Duralube and similar additives are probably best used as a more personal lubricant, since you'll need to ease the pain of the realization that you've just been "taken advantage of", to put it mildly.

And never mind that all those expert testimonials are from people who are not lubrication engineers, automotive engineers, metallurgists, nor probably even high school graduates, and none of their opinions are supported by empirical data from independent testers. If faith heals all, then the secret ingredient of Duralube is obviously faith. If someone really believes in it, you'll never be able to convince them otherwise up to the point where the hawk grabs his behind.

Never mind the fact that Briggs and Stratton has sued them for using their engines in advertisement without permission, indicating that not only is it O.K. to use Duralube, but hinting that B&S actually advocates the use of Duralube.

Yeah, go out and get that $20 kit of Duralube, then realize that for no practical benefit you are now even $20 farther from having new valve guides and seals.

Just my opinion, and that of most auto engine manufacturers, small engine manufacturers, oil companies, and trained professionals everywhere.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 hardtop
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: Yup -- they still work
Duralube ? Over my dead body.

I am on my third f-body. The middle one was subjected to Duralube (305 TBI no A/C).

As far as I am concerned the Duralube product contributed to the premature destruction of my bottom end. Just as I could "feel the difference" when it was installed, so could I feel the difference when it was flushed on my next oil change. The motor had about 60,000 miles on it.

The long and short of it is (as I have been advised by various engineers since, plus the engine shop that later tore down my engine) this product and these kinds of products put a coating on your bearings that alters the tolerance between your bearings and bearing surfaces. This is not so bad on a motor with 200k on it but on one that is in mid-life, it can have very negative consequences.

I would never, ever use these products again. If you want to protect your engine change your oil every month (come on, it's only $20 for the regular stuff) and make sure your cooling system is working at max efficiency.

BTW: My current ride gets synthetic only, 5-30.

RP.
Attached Thumbnails Is duralube worth it???-firebird9.jpg  
Old 01-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its junk dont use it, they are all getting sued for false statements (slick 50, duralube, prolong,..etc) like its heard before many times and is true "if it was so good, GM would put it in there cars from the factory" they do use mobile 1 for the t/a's and vettes so obviosuly theres some proof its one of the best oils you can get/
Old 01-16-2002, 03:30 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: manual/t56
You know the old saying "If it looks to good to be true it probably is." I think that applies to all of those "miracle additives". Just use a good mineral or synthetic oil of the correct weight, a good filter and change them regularly and you be much better off.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:11 PM

The stuff is crap. I put it in a 4 x 4 with 35,000 and it made it burn oil after that. The truck was never the same.I have a friend who works at a large dealership and claims people come in all the time who used it and had nothing but trouble. The only oil additive I ever would use is Slick 50. Check consumer reports it says it all.