Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Camaro is back in action...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Mustang Coupe/89 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 carb'd/305
Transmission: T5/T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 and stock TrakLok/stock GM
Camaro is back in action...sort of

Well, after blowing over 300 dolars in tools and a nice toolchest today, I finally finished up the Camaro except for some tuning. Got it running and it runs sweet as hell, finally with a good carburatorand tranny. Once i got it going, I figured Id take it out for a spin. Get ito ut on this lonely long strech of road and see what its got. I come to a complete stop, take the megashifter down into 1st and punch it, it gets pretty nasty and I slam it into 2nd and it shifts HARD into 2nd and when I shift into 3rd Gear all I know is Im clocking around 100 or so cause I let out (and the dash lights decided to blow the fuse ) So, I test it out from a roll, put it in Drive and at about 50mph or so, punch it, makes a HARD downshift the rear tire actually chirps quickly. Im excited fora couple reasons, mainly because of the performance Im getting and the fact that Im back in an old Glove, so to speak

Well, Im stopping at a light after throwing a couple bucks in the tank. Its a two lane road, about 2am or so. Its been a real nice night so the cruisers have been out in full force not to mention ricers. I get to the light and at idle, the car has a damn good sized lope, all grumbly and mean sounding. Im watching the gauges and such, just monitering things when i hear this Real loud grumbling sound from beside me. Its a 91 or so RS. I saw his car at the track before, has a 350 with a 700r4, ford 9inch and such, not bad but he's old school from the *** 882 heads to anti FI (although my Camaro is Carb)

I have my windows down and I look over and he thorws a rev, I throw one back. Then I look at the light and when it goes green, I hammer it hard, pin out of the hole....we are neck and neck and he ends up beating me by about 1/2 a car or so. Nextl ight, he rolls his window down and asks me whatk inda 350 Im running.

"350? Whoever said 350? This is a 305...wait till I get my carb tuned!"

And light goes green and I driveoff, fondly remember his expression

I do have a question. How do Stalls work exactly. I have a 2400 in mine how do you "use" them so to speak? I just do liek I did before in my old Rs. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 AM
On Probation

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
ok, 1st off, all that from a 305? *bows* nice!

also, how do the purple hornies sound? i was thinking about getting them.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
you basically have my combo! if it's still the stock 82 shortblock, it's only got 8.6:1 c/r instead of my 9.5:1, but other than that, it's pretty much identical. i had a pretty fun night last night, throwing down some low 13.7's at the track with a bad carb tune. check out what the m/t's did to my powertrax locker with my 305!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:07 PM

Car: 92 Mustang Coupe/89 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 carb'd/305
Transmission: T5/T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 and stock TrakLok/stock GM
I originally got my Purple Hornies with the collectors on them because I didnt feel liek shelling out for exhaust and couldn find a shop to do it. Well, they dont bolt up because of subframe interference so I hah to chop off the collector and ended up getting my exhaust fabbed up. I love how the tipsturn down because I stop before my rear end.

The soudn is great. when you first get them, they sound liek regular glasspacks. Youve got to break them in. Onceso, they sound great. Still a little like Glasspacks but then agin, alot differant because of their grumble and in my upper RPM's, It kinda sounds liek a race muffler and real loud. To me, I feel they were worth every cent of the 70 bucks I shelledo ut....cheap and I like their sound!