Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Domestic VS Imports

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate the fact, that if rice is gonna race, rice is gonna cook with NOS. what the hell is their thing, thats their main thing against us.
ok, im tired. later

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
Edelbrock Catback, Fourth Gen Console. i have six cupholders. all for starbucks!
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
"My G/f Once Wanted To Break Up Because Of Competition With The Car."
GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
God Created The Earth, And Then Turned Up The Bass
Old 07-02-2001, 08:03 PM

Importers are just like us, they like to go fast. Thets the bottom line. Some may be ****ey and ignorant, but so are some of us, right. When they pull up next to you at a stoplight, and rev it up, give it back to em, and show them why american muscle is and always will be the frontrunner in speed and performance. Some rice burners in my oopinion are pretty cool cars, and diserve slight respect (300 ZX,Supra), but I'd never buy one. I'm american, and I drive american. My buddy with a 90something rx7 talked trash, and I smoked him. He's been pretty quiet since.

------------------
"keeping rice burners in the rearview"
Old 07-02-2001, 08:38 PM

on Saturday I went to an illegal drag strip where all cars went. Heck I even saw an NSX. I saw an older civic line up against a new mustag GT. I was like ummmm yeah, why is the civic even here?

the civic spanked him. Everyone started laughing.

Later a new Z28 lined up next to the civic, he was beat also by a little bit, but I heard the night before the z82 won.

Turns out this car was gutted out, but he also spent $9k on the motor. It was even NA with no power adders. That is what i heard. He spent $9k to get his civic run as fast as a stock Z28.

Can you imagine what you coudl do to a SBC with $9k? Im thinking gobs of power.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:31 PM

Car: 1985 Z-28
Engine: a big one
Transmission: 4 spd auto soon to be a 6 speed
yes, build a small block on 9k and you'll kick anyones ****.

they also like nitrous way too much.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:07 AM

I'm into 'brids, but I'd like to own an RX-7 just because of the engine, those rotaries interest me...
Old 07-06-2001, 02:14 PM

OK, the import scene in general sucks. The only intelligence there is the marketing. I think it's pretty s*((y that some kids are spending their hard earned money on a $200 chrome exhaust tip that claims 5-10hp. The majority of import performance enthusiasts are totally ignorant and would have trouble telling you how an internal combustion engine works let alone why their overpriced mods are adding power. However, there are a lot of ignorant domestic owners with ****ty running V8's that think they're fast. My friend just stipped a wrecked 93 VW corrado for it's VR6 and put it in his 85 golf. He did all the work himself with hand tools, in a garage that we were renting. Once he gets his brakes straightened out, it should run low 14 to high 13 1/4 miles. THAT is hot rodding, not some kid picking goodies out of an import mag to hang on his car. Like I said, the domestic scene definitely has it's share of a$$&@!es, but the import performance thing is getting rediculous. Let's not even get into the dollar per horspower issue because imports will lose every time. When you can get a 330HP GM crate motor for 2 g's that can get dropped into alomst any RWD GM car made in the last 30+ years, you have to question why people are wasting their money on import performance. If an import racer can run the number, fine, more power to him, and I have total respect for that, but if I see any more mid 80's integras line up, that are so slow you need time lapse photography to see them race, I'm going to puke.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:59 PM

im bigl350's boy with the vw, i agree with a lot of the points made about import racing. i read a vw forum where a lot of ignorant statements about hondas and domestics are made. i respect cars but i dont respect people who do stupid things to the wrong cars. if i wanted to run a fast 1/4 mile i'd build up an 8 cylinder. i put a larger displacement motor in my vw for a lot of reasons, 1 being its the most powerful motor vw has offered to date. i will run 13 second times before i go forced induction and it probly wont be that cheap but thats what comes along with trying to modify volkswagens and other import cars. this dude i know is building a vr6 up to run a 200hp shot of n2o, he ran a 12.2 with a 125hp shot, welded diff, and some minor headwork. it might seem slow compared to what you guys are running, but guess what? theres thousands of other people running the same times with the same setups youre all using. water cooled vw's havent had much exposure to drag racing and these guys out here doing there thing in the import scene are pioneering. real car enthusiasts give respect where its due no matter what badge is on the car, if i saw a hyundai at englishtown running 12's i'd probly laugh but i'd give the person credit at the same time. i like cars, but i love vw's. i feel like my car has a soul, it has character and i hope you all feel that way about your rides

btw i will not be adding any stickers, wings, body kits, clear lights, etc. contrary to what a lot of you may believe there are import enthusiasts who recognize that stuff as waste of money. they do nothing for performance except make the driver think his car looks fast. im trying to keep my car as sleeper as possible for when i sneak up on you v8 drivers

[This message has been edited by chriscobal (edited July 06, 2001).]
Old 07-14-2001, 10:40 PM

Car: Z28
Engine: Edelbrockified 305
Transmission: 700-R4
If anyone actually gets this far down, I'll be surprised, but here goes anyway:
What the ricers are doing is very much like what went in Southern California in the early 50's: Young people want to go fast, but they don't have the cash for sports cars, and so they buy whatever they can get their hands on and hot rod the heck out of them. You guys probably won't want to admit this, but a Model T or a Model A is just like a Civic in many respects, both are cheap cars built for the masses, both aim to be reliable, user-friendly, and both are completely slow and not to mention ugly when stock, though both can be fixed (four foot spoilers are always gay on front drive cars, though).
It's going to be hilarious sometime in the future to see a Honda being as revered as a classic hot rod Model A, as I'm sure the imports of today will be in 30 years. But I still agree with whoever said that they spend way too much for so little speed.
It's amazing to most people to see a 1.8 liter Civic or whatever running 12's. I remember one day I brought an issue of Road & Track back in the good 'ol days--high school--to auto shop that had a story where they were comparing different cars in drag racing. Everyone in the class went nuts for one car. Not the 550hp Hennessy Viper or the 12 sec bone stock Diablo SV, but the 10 sec (I think) Civic, pretty amazing to see a front wheel drive car do that.
I can see where they are coming from, but I still think that any front wheel drive car that claims to be fast; if it is or not; is gay.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents

Oh, and Jono, right on!!!
------------------
Ludicrous Speed GO!!!

[This message has been edited by MartyMcFly (edited July 15, 2001).]
Old 07-26-2001, 02:45 AM

There is know doubt they get bashed but come on with those cars and the money put it, and the sounds and power, looks it just has to be domestic, Muscle RULES!

------------------
1986 Iroc z28
4bbl 350 V8 430 hp
300 shot NOS
6 spd Manual
20" Iroc replica Rims
2, 12" Alpine Subs
4.11 gear ratio
1/4 mile - 10.52s and 10.86s
Old 07-26-2001, 01:58 PM

How about this list of imports?
Acura NSX
Nissan Skyline AWD Twin Turbo
Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
Mistubishi 3000GT twin tubo AWD
Mistubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo
Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Toyota MR2 Turbo
Honda S2000
And those are all the cars from the wrong side of the ocean.
BMW M3
BMW M5
Porshe 911 Turbo AWD
Porshe Boxster
Audi TT
Mercedes Benz S600 (V-12)
Lamborghini Diablo
Ferrari F355
Ferrari F360 Modena
Ferrari F550

Truly bad *** American cars produced in the last 10 years.
Pontiac Firehawk
Chevrolet Camaro SS
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra
Saleen S-7

Pretty fair comparison huh?

------------------
84 Z28 383
Stripped w/Cage back halved w/ladder bars and coil overs and 9 inch
700R-4 3.73
Old 07-27-2001, 01:30 AM

i think it's pretty dumb to compare a honda civic and a camaro, a civic is an economy car not a performance car and should be compared to something like a cavalier. if you want to compare cars fairly you need to take cars in the same class and price range. you can buy a nice 90-91 AWD DSM for the same price as a good condition 3rd gen. The DSM will be equal if not faster stock and for as little as $500 in mods can run low 13s high 12s. going that fast for that little money is not commom though, but for $500 high 13s are easy. the 4G63 motor can handle ~450hp on stock internals and run about 24psi of boost without having to do any actual engine work (note i didn't say no woek, just no engine work). the fastest AWD dsm runs mid 9s on the stock transmission and unibody, and it weighs 3000lbs which is only about 200lbs lighter than stock. after saying all that i'll admit the fastest V8s will be faster than the fastest imports simply because a 2.0L can never make more power than a similarily equipped 8.0L.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:30 AM

the reason that imports get bashed on so much is because they have to do so much to there cars to run with the domestics.since the civic is so popular, lets say.... in say....1988 a GTA or IROC was going to kill any import car out there ( u cant compare a new civic to an 80's fbody).and say now,a new z28 or TA is going to kill any import stock for stock. the civic or whatever, is going to have to use a supercharger, nitrous, turbo, or whatever to run with a new Z or TA.
and u said that most ricers put on an intake and exhaust. if a stock civic si does that they are going to be running low 15's MABEY high 14's. if a Z or TA does that they will be running mid to high 12's. the fact is these lower level imports (civics,preludes,ect. cant run with the big boys without a power adder.) now if u are going to bring the supra into this then u might want to compare it to something in its price range... like a corvette or an older viper. no match there. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. and mabey if most of these import guys didnt act like they were the fastest thing on the road they wouldnt get ripped on so much.

------------------
1986 pontiac trans am
5.0 305 TPI V8
700R4 tranny w/transgo shift kit.
KYB shocks
Old 07-28-2001, 05:21 PM

The odds of finding a race with a honda that will beat you are very slim. Lets say you take a group of 10,000 honda civics that have been modified (anything from fart tip, lowering, spoiler, to NOS, Turbo, whatever as long as they have been modified in some way) Out of those 10,000 I bet you if they all went to the track only 1,000 would run faster than 15 flat. Only 500 faster than 14 flat. Only 20 that run faster than 12 flat. And probably only one or two that run faster than 11 flat. Now if you took the same number of GTA's and IROC-Z's first of all almost everyone would be faster than 15 flat. A hell of alot would be faster than 14 flat. Lots in the 13's. 12's wouldn't be all to rare. And you would have a fair amount even lower than 11 or running 10s. Look at the cars on this web page. My car runs 12.8 with a N/A 350 and is not even close to being the fastest on here. If I was running 12.8 with a N/A vtech in a civic mailing list I would be a god All this idiot ricers that talk trash about our cars base there facts one ONE or TWO hondas out of 10 Million that run in the 10's by some completely custom fabricated ticking time bomb 4 banger engine, a HELL OF A GOOD driver, PERFECT weather conditions, and a fair bit of luck, managed to pull of a 10.9 only to blow up his engine the next run. After that one guy does this and all these other honda owners find out instantly their POS ecomy car that everyone thought was slow magically transforms into this ultra fast high performance land rocket. It's so sad how high all these idioits hopes are.

------------------
Karsten
86 IROC-ZZ4... too much to list.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:16 PM

I have a friend that bought a 66 Nova for bout 15,000 put another 8,000 into it and now he is running low 8's in the quarter mile

If anyone here can tell me of a import they know of that has 25,000 invested (price of car and mods combined) and can run those times then i will give imports all the respect in the world.......
but right now as far as racing goes i think imports are just a waste of money

------------------
87 GTA 350 TPI
Mods: K&N Air Filter, New rocker arms, Stage III chip.
Next Mods in line: Exhaust, headers
http://www.geocities.com/rudys120/transam.html
Kills:
87 Mustang 5.0,
89 Mustang 5.0 (modded)
?? Iroc
00-01? Jaguar driven buy 85 yr old guy
Too many ricers to count......