Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Grand National vs '89 350 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lt1 vs. Buick

Convert, you also said an LT1 F-body can beat a GN. Well, if you read both my notes you would know I owned an LT1 F-body as well. handling would go hands down to the Z28. It handled better than the 3rd gen F-bodies. But it still is not faster than the Buick. Sorry. I liked both cars but 1/4 miles goes to the Buick. Top end would go the Z28. As far as feeling fast, I admitted that in a previous post. Yes, your car would feel faster than the GN. GN's are smooth rather than torquey! No arguement there. I had an 87 Camaro (daily driver) with a 2.8 and it felt faster than the GN!!! You claim that is what is important? Streets aren't race tracks? Why were you racing the GN on the street then? If streets aren't for racing and only feeling fast is important why were you racing the Buick anyway? Could it be you were hoping you would win so you could brag to all your friends because being fast is really important to you. Plus, if you are so convinced your car is so fast why would you come on here and ask. No offense, but if I lost a race I would probably make up reasons to make myself feel better too!

P.S.- no reason for everyone to start bashing me because I think both cars are good in their own way.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

I read in one of the posts that the fastest TPI is 9 sec. I've seen two GNs last time at the track run a in the 8s, and I think there might be some in the 7s. GNs are fast, classy, and more comfortable, but the 3rd gens are muscle car looking, V8, and have the torque to throw you in the seat. Both cars have ups and downs, but if I could choose one it would be the GN. SORRY, but I like their style better and they make sweet sleepers to kill the ***** crowd.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
Note: The fastest TPI car... is 9 secs...
Old 01-25-2002, 09:04 AM

Matt and other GN guys,

GIVE ME A BREAK, I ve owned 3 GN's over the last 12 yrs and currently own a TTA.

NOT ALL GN's RUN GOOD, because not all GN/T-type owners keep their cars in top tune. Ive seen SOOO MANY times GN's at the track barely mustering 14's.

I believe he beat this guy, and he knows that GN can be made much faster, give him a break. AND If you think T-top GN's dont rattle or have massive air noise from the crappy window design your just not being honest, maybe yours dont, but then again my 50K TTA doesnt rattle either.

Im F'in sick of these pathetic little quibbles that go on every time someone says they beat a GN or a 5.0. Get over yourselves.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:17 AM

lots of pics of one here. !!!

here's a vid of one smoking a 4th gen!
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/mgmshar/Gnvideo1.mov

this isn't a good vid but you can hear the supercharger
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/mgmshar/Gnvideo2.mpeg

this is for sale

http://www.grandprixmotorsonline.com...dnational.html

these are just pics of somebodys

Old 01-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

You GN guys have to admit that if we put a turbo/intercooler setup on our cars, we would smoke you. Check Guido's engine out here.
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=78349.

Dont get me wrong, but I love GN's, but you guys are getting a little bit full of yourselves.

GN + $500 in mods = 12's

L98 thirdgen + $500 NOS 5150 wet system = 12's easily

You guys have to remember you are running a power adder. Give us one and we'll show you what we can do

-peace
Old 01-25-2002, 10:37 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: Auto
By the way, a TTA, also a thirdgen, would whip any GN. If you do the same mods to the GN as you do to the TTA, the TTA will win every time. *** Bless The Thirdgen, and *** Bless America!
Old 01-25-2002, 10:38 AM

Why is ******* ok to say, but G O D is not????
Old 01-25-2002, 10:49 AM

GN + $500 in mods = 12's
L98 thirdgen + $500 NOS 5150 wet system = 12's easily
How true it is... we may not run 12's all the time, but when it comes time to race one of you Box's, we got the power under the button. Now, as far as a 5.0 goes, please, no comp there. Hey, don't mix in your 5.0 opinions with GN's. A stock 5.0 vs. a stock L98, aint really that much of a competition. Ill be honest, as always (yes i owned an 89 Mustang 5.0 LX), both stock cars are very even in a quarter mile race, but the IROC will take the lead every time above 100mph (much more aerodynamic). Both cars are pretty cool i think... good old fashion V8 American Muscle. Anyway, with mods, Stangs can go VERY fast... i know this also from experience. Guess what, with mods Thirdgens can be 12 second sleepers also... and not for a gazzillion dollars like the GN crowd thinks. Try 2 grand or less. If the thirdgen owner knows a lot about cars, i say MUCH less.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

Please read my posts before commenting

Convert,

Do you fully read my posts? I said it like 15 times that I exclude the TTA from all my comments on F-bodies. I am not against F-bodies at all and once again you didn't read completely. I owned an F-body as well. yes, it was a 4th gen but an F-body. besides, my 4th gen would beat your 3rd gen no problem. (stock that is, i know you like to compare your car all doen up to everything else stock.) I have said it before I have no problem with F-bodies at all. There are many cars that deserve a lot of respect.

What does aggravate me are people who think there car is something it is not. You are that kinda person. You probably thought your Mustang was the greatest thing on earth when you had it but now you have an IROC so that is the be all and end all. The GN wasn't deemed the fasted US production car ever made in 87 because it could be beat by an 87 IROC or TA.

Now, to the guy who said we need to get over ourselves because we can be beat. I have no problem being beat. I have been beat before and will be in the future. Not a problem. But, GN's and TTA's are just fast cars. No reason to go on any further.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:08 AM

I was comparing it to the newer F-bodies. The newere F-bodies can compete stock with the GN but they cost more. If you take the difference in cost and put that money into the GN then the GN still wins.
Since you brought up the money-mod thing, here i go.

I know for a fact, that a stock F355 is faster than my ROC, i raced one. Now that car is like 150 grand new. My IROC i bought it for 8G. That is a difference of 142,000 bucks. If i add 142,000 bucks of mods to my iroc, i will be running 8's and driving on the street. Plus it will have a killer paintjob and stereo.

Next topic...
You probably thought your Mustang was the greatest thing on earth when you had it but now you have an IROC so that is the be all and end all.
Don't all of us?? If you weren't driving a GN and you only had a CIVIC, you would love that car. All the 5.0 guys, love 5.0's because they have em. I have been fortunate enough to own a wide variety of cool cars, but i have kept the ROC. I know that it will be valuable one day. I owned a 94 LT1 Vette, a Stang, and i had a GN for a week (to drive). My problem with the GN is that if you are not a car nut, it looks like any other car. Every where i would drive it, no one was impressed. Especially the chicks (except fat, beer guzzling, ******* chicks ) (note... i am not dissing car chicks, my girl is one, i am dissing girls who think that GN's are sexy!) I bet that i could get laid easier in my spiffed up IROC than your Jet Black Caddy look-a-like. And hey man, i am not 'one of those guys'. At work, they give (loan me) me a car to drive during the week. It is a Lexus GS400. This is a WAY better car than my IROC or a GN, but i don't brag about it. You know why... because it is too mundane, it is nothing 'special'. Everyone here owns an IROC or a GTA knows what i am talking about. These are timeless cars, one of the last remnants of american muscle V8. Even the newer F Body's, while they are fast as hell, they have that 'rice' look. And you know what, i can make my current F Body just as fast as the 01's with a little bit of money.

Last edited by Convert; 01-25-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:19 AM

Could it be you were hoping you would win so you could brag to all your friends because being fast is really important to you.
No, it couldn't be that... i didn't brag to anyone. I just had it in my sig. In fact, i am going to update my sig just for you wiseguys.

LOOK - Updated SIG
Old 01-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
um, WOW this post sure turned to ****! Guys chill out, we are all GM brothers here, lets not fight. Each car has its up and downs. Sure a GN is faster stock, and responds GREAT to little mods, but try having your car handle , a fbody can handle but takes a bit more work to get faster than a GN.

Stop the bickering and arguing.

As for me, i'm doing the best of both worlds, great handling GTA with a TTA motor
Old 01-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
have a good day
Old 01-25-2002, 03:11 PM

convert your a dreamer. look at gmhtp project magnum, look at all the money into that buildup for their mighty 396. then on top of it all they "hope" it will go low 12's. last i checked they had 6241.00 into it for low 12's? give me a break. here is another example Dave Sousa from fall river ran a best of 13.3 at 105 with a 305 with a paxton sn92 super charger, 2040 crane cam, 24 pound injectors, edelbrock headers, and flowmaster exhaust. thats gotta be over 4k in parts for 13's? give me another break. yes our cars will run 12's for 500 bucks, its been done. you put a 500 dollar nitrous system on a stock l-98 and it will either grenade or run 13's. no my t-top gn doesnt rattle or leak air to bad and i never said all gn's run good and nor do all irocs either and i also never said or implied this guys story wasnt true. good day.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Saying a L98 will "grenade" from using a nitrous kit is just ignorant.

Nitrous is just as reliable a running a turbo...as long as the user has a head on his/her shoulders.

And if tuned properly with 150 jets installed, 12's are no problem at all as long as the driver knows what they are doing.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:40 PM

Just a few thoughts......

I had to register to respond to this post as it is turning into a big argument and I do not think it is necessary. I picked 1987 GN as my log on here the same as it is on Turbobuick.com so I would not have two different ones. For the past 3 years I have owned a 1989 Iroc 350TPI (T-tops, K&N, Edelbrock cat-back and PFP Hi-Flo converter), 1991 Z28 350TPI (stock except for K&N and stereo), and a 1987 GN (stock except open K&N, downpipe, chip and fuel pump). I owned them all at the same time and all are in excellent condition except for the Iroc which needed paint (140k miles) and that is why I sold it recently. They are all great cars. My MAF Iroc ran a best of 15.12 1/4 mile stock and then 14.56 with the cat back exhaust and K&N's. The Z28 ran 14.26 with the K&N's and an air foil. I have a large sub-box in the hatch which also helped plant the rear tires. The GN ran just about the same as the Z28 (it ran 14.18). They are all great cars and fun to drive. My Buick responded very well to the mods mentioned above and at a couple of psi over stock it ran 13.26. Bang for the buck the Buick wins since if I go under the hood and open up the bleeder valve I am going to drop down to the mid 12's with no other changes (except for good gas). My camaros do not respond to simple mods the way the GN does. On the other hand I felt the most comfortable doing 120 mph blasts in my Iroc and would not consider those speeds comfortable in the GN. The point is we all have great cars and love them because they are ours. I like my GN because it is mine and the same for my Z28. To each his own! The Buick folks thank the Camaro and Mustang and other muscle car guys because if it were not for them most dragstrips would not even be open as they make up a majority of the people racing at the tracks (except on Buick day or Import weekend.) I enjoy reading this board all of the time and think there is a lot of knowledge here. Hopefully the name calling and arguing will pass and we will all realize we can learn things from eachother regardless of the types of cars we drive. It is not this brand against this brand etc. It is us car guys against the rest of the world who would rather we were not making noise at the racetrack, or creating pollution with our cars, or capable of speeds 3x the legal limit. Lets face it, fighting amongst ourselves and the inability to get along is probably the reason we keep facing more restrictions and legislation etc etc. Ok now I am off the soap box. My cars are great, your cars are great now lets just get back to having fun.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2006 Corvette
Engine: LS2
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
Just had to add my 2 cents. Someone mentioned that a Grand National was the fastest US production car in 87'. I beg to differ. I suppose no one remembers the Callaway twin turbo option for the Corvette. It was an actual Corvette option with its own RPO code. And could whip the s**t out of a GN. And i believe it only ran 6 PSI of boost. $500 with a GN to run 12s? The Callaway was already deep into them, stock.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

i dont think its that easy to get a 3rd gen to run with a GN they had full frames, 8.5 ten bolt rear and much more beefy 2004r's, just putting a NOS kit on a 3rd gen to get it into the 12's isnt that easy, and if it did it would be a BIG shot and probley only last a run or 2 before the 700r4 blew up, let also not forget the G-bodys are a tank and weight about 3,800 lbs compared to the f-bodys 3,200 plus the f-body is MUCH more aerodynamic and has 2 more cylinders and the GN is STILL faster, thats a hell of a car there, lets keep it fair and compare apples to apples, pick out the best 3.1 or 2.8 and spray it, turbo it anything and see how easy its to get that into the 12's
Old 01-25-2002, 06:05 PM

thanks TempesT68. finally someone who realizes we are two cylinders down and hundreds of pounds heavier. gotta be a little defensive to my car! hey no hard feelings to anyone on this board, just trying to keep things interesting and pass the winter blues!
Old 01-25-2002, 06:08 PM

i dont think that a calloway vette can be considered "production" you couldnt go to a dealer and drive off in one, thats more of an authorized aftermarket hop up to a production car. the 87 gn is and always will be known as the fastest production car of that year so get over it, how do ya think the car got the nasty rep it did?
Old 01-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

It was as much of a prodution car as the TTAs and turbo Grand Prixs. All three cars were sent to outside facilities to have the modifications done. And im sure a select few dealers had Callaways sitting in their showrooms, you just had to have enough cash to drive one home. I cant believe youre not going to count a Callaway just because of its few numbers. Sounds like an excuse to me.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:27 PM

could please eloborate on who did outside work on the tta? as far as i knew it was nothing more than a lc2 turbo 3.8 in a trans am.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:41 PM

you put a 500 dollar nitrous system on a stock l-98 and it will either grenade or run 13's.
Arrgghhhh... what is with this guy? Wrong again... A 150 Shot of juice on an L98 (which is a great engine... very well built, ask any engine guy) and it will handle it fine, your 3.8 LC2 has as much chance of 'grenading' as our L98's. An 13's... what are you joking... with some funky exhaust manifolds and a Catback, some Ignition work, and sticky's, i personally ran 13.9... so WTF are you talking about???? You are really clueless... with a 150 hp, i could easily get into the twelves. Lest just do some basic math.

Your engine makes about 20 more horses than ours to stock? If you added 130 horsepower to your beloved GN's, would you be touching 12's???
Old 01-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

About the TTA not being made in-house, here's a passage from a book i have called "Pontiac Firebird" by Nicky Wright ..."True high-tech power guided the Indy Trans Am. Under the hood lay a 250hp turbo-charged V6 with a massive 340 lbs/ft of torque. The engine, which came from Buick's short lived Grand National and GNX muscle cars, was modified by Pontiac and a performance concern called PAS Inc. for inclusion in the special GTA".
Old 01-25-2002, 09:43 PM

I will give you one thing though... i know that turbo cars, not just GN's, respond well to mods... turbo mods. Try to just modify your puny engine, and see how well that responds. Since you guys get a poweradder, a race with one of our L98's on Juice would be more than fair... and you know what? I bet we'd win
Old 01-25-2002, 09:53 PM

Everyone, check this out...

Go over to www.turbobuick.com and check out the thread entitled, 'Fear and respect for the GN has spread......', in the 'Turbo Lounge' section. It is from our buddy, 1987 GN.

Hey 1987 GN, Mr. 'Cool'... i aint afraid of your GN. You silly goose, your car aint scary at all.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
come on children
quit fighting each other. you are both from GM so why go about fighting each other
spend your time fighting the import ppl like me

well ok maybe not like me
but the ***** boys at least

and um... dont you know
both your cars suck as it is

the f-body rattle box and car that tries to look like a caddy

you should both know you guys are weak

I mean come on

we all know honda is the best car out there
they are the ones on top of the game
fast as hell and put the turns in real quick

now if I only had one to call my own

we all should fear the mighty honda
Attached Thumbnails Grand National vs '89 350 IROC-bigtip.jpg  
Old 01-25-2002, 11:11 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z/28
Transmission: TH700-R4
you guys are hilarious
Old 01-26-2002, 12:03 AM

Fighting you??? Actually, i think that RX-7's are cool as hell!! I like honda's too (for long drives on slow roads)
Old 01-26-2002, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by tpivette89
About the TTA not being made in-house, here's a passage from a book i have called "Pontiac Firebird" by Nicky Wright ..."True high-tech power guided the Indy Trans Am. Under the hood lay a 250hp turbo-charged V6 with a massive 340 lbs/ft of torque. The engine, which came from Buick's short lived Grand National and GNX muscle cars, was modified by Pontiac and a performance concern called PAS Inc. for inclusion in the special GTA".
Thats correct HOWEVER they were assembled at the factory.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Convert
I will give you one thing though... i know that turbo cars, not just GN's, respond well to mods... turbo mods. Try to just modify your puny engine, and see how well that responds. Since you guys get a poweradder, a race with one of our L98's on Juice would be more than fair... and you know what? I bet we'd win
Allright now this is/has gotten silly. An L98 on a 150 shot would proally go high 12's, that isnt enough to cover a good hard running GN with $500 in mods.

ALSO if your going to play the you got a PA and we dont then you can add the PA but you have to pull 2 spark plugs???? See how silly that sounds, we all choose our cars for some reason, if it was to be the fastest then spend the money, cause thats whose fastest, THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY. and the end of the day it dont matter what you show up with, run what you brung or stay on the porch.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:02 AM

cause thats whose fastest, THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY
Well that's true, no arguments there.

But, you know me, i gotta argue something...

Allright now this is/has gotten silly. An L98 on a 150 shot would proally go high 12's, that isnt enough to cover a good hard running GN with $500 in mods
Ok, fine, then give me an L98 on a 150 shot AND another 500 bucks of mods (maybe a nice cam and some headwork). Which car would you place your money on???

ALSO if your going to play the you got a PA and we dont then you can add the PA but you have to pull 2 spark plugs???? See how silly that sounds
Uh, pretty silly... I don't think that a 150 shot of juice quallifies as the type of power adder you guys are running. Your power adder takes a POS 3.8 v6 and turns it into something that runs with and kills many V8's. A mundane 150 shot of juice (which really only adds about 80 RWHP, sounds silly vs. something that puts a 17 second Grocery Getter into the Low 14's and high 13's (that's right all you GN guys, your cars are not super cars or anything... i don't see 10's here). Let's make it fair. Actually, what the fu c k am i talking about... this is getting to be a stupid post isn't it. ****, **** it... let's just get to the bottom of this L O N G post and end it.

My car is cool, your car drools. My ***** is longer than your *****. And, don't forget, my dad can WHOOP your dad's ***!

Last edited by Convert; 01-26-2002 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:04 AM

LOL

GNs

go home
Old 01-26-2002, 02:30 AM
Supreme Member

ok convert
who cares if they put a turbo in there car?
so what if you put one on your car making the same amount of power if you could win
both are fast cars even if it is a 3.8 that thing has my respect
they take a heavy car put MINOR mods to a already good stock setup and can kick some serious ***
and in my book that gets some serious respect

I am proud of my car also
running turob ( well when I was running) and was able to pull off 12 second runs with a 1.3L are you going to start saying that my car is a pos cause I run a small motor with some major mods?

who cares

what it all comes down to is when the race is on you can wish for all you want but doesn't matter cause you can only run what you have at the moment and these guys already have a good head start

and sorry if I seem a little touchy here but I am just tired of all the little bickering about who has the bigger dick.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:58 AM
Supreme Member

really the GN is the 2nd best car to ever roll out of detriot (next to the 70' stage 1 455 GS) the GN was a monster, nothing could touch it in the 80's and still to this day, dont forget were talking buick power, not playing games like with chevy and ford power, i dont see where the comparison is, the GN was a MUCH heavyer, had a better trans, better axle, and a full frame unlike the 3rd gen. and your saying a 3rd gen gives it a chance? please! this is one of my most favorite things to say, you hear all day "bla bla my 302 runs 10's and 9's" "bla bla my 327 does the same "well my buick V-*6* runs in the 7's wheres you chevy, ford mopar v-6 doing those times" then all the "well, uhhh, hmmmmmmm," come into plan and simply you cant beat a buick period. end of discussion.

Last edited by SoCo80p; 01-26-2002 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:13 AM

and sorry if I seem a little touchy here but I am just tired of all the little bickering about who has the bigger dick
Well, that's easy, my dick is bigger
Old 01-26-2002, 03:15 AM

this is one of my most favorite things to say, you hear all day "bla bla my 302 runs 10's and 9's" "bla bla my 327 does the same "well my buick V-*6* runs in the 7's wheres you chevy, ford mopar v-6 doing those times" then all the "well, uhhh, hmmmmmmm," come into plan and simply you cant beat a buick
WTF was that guy saying... it's like babbling or something, i don't understand?? Someone enlighten me, please! Hey guys, we need to go to the Buick boards and like immature babies also.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

easy to understand

all these ppl are talking about there big ***** does so great and then the guy with the little dick gets the job done but does the sme job if not better
Old 01-26-2002, 03:23 AM

Ok, i get it now... i was/am tired Sorry TempesT68.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:25 AM
Supreme Member

ditto rx7, like the bitches say "its not the size, its how you use it"
Old 01-26-2002, 03:26 AM

Hey, just to get some facts straight. Two magazines tested both the TTA and the GTA L98. The TTA ran the quarter in 13.9. The GTA ran the quarter in 14.5. The TTA did zero to 60 in 6.3. The GTA ran it in 6.2 (hey, that's a teeny bit faster). So, THERE! It is not impossible for a stock IROC or GTA to beat a Stock GN in a race (the TTA's were definitly quicker than the GN's)! Especially a straight line stop light race (since the gn has breathing problems until about 3rd gear). Common GN guys, just admit that a well tuned L98 with 230 - 250 and 330-340 ft lbs, does have a chance against your coveted super cars. Please, someone!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:29 AM

Oh, i know that magazines can make mistakes, as they may not always use the best drivers... i have heard of stock TTA's running 13.3 before... but i have also seen L98 Vette's and Fbody's run 13.9-14.0. The driver, weather, track conditions, definitly play an important role.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:29 AM
Supreme Member

compare apples to apples convert, your comparing a v-**6** to a 8, and the 6 is STILL faster, doesnt that say something? weres the 2.8 and 3.1 comparisons?
Old 01-26-2002, 03:32 AM

Here is a quote from that magazine:

The Camaro took a major hit in HP ratings during the 70’s and didnt start to make a comeback until the IROC-Z Camaros. In 1987 the IROC Camaro was available with the 5.7 litre, TPI, 225 HP, L98, engine. Performance was 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 14.5 second 1/4 mile. By 1992 maximum HP available increased to 245 HP. In 1993 the Z-28 Camaro was available with the optional LT1, 275 HP Vette engine upping performance to a Car and Driver reported 14 second flat 1/4 mile at 100 mph. Escalation in HP continues with a 320 HP engine available with a 6 speed manual transmission in the 1998 SS Camaro. My references have no 1/4 mile ET available for the ‘98 SS however it is safely in the muscle car bracket. The F-body cars offer the most muscle for the buck in the 90’s.
The Firebird began its comeback with the 1989 1/2 Trans Am offering a turbocharged Buick V6 engine rated at 250 HP. Car and Driver tested a car and found 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds and 1/4 mile ET of 13.9 seconds. In 1992 Firebird upped the performance ante considerably offering the Formula Firehawk available with RPO B4U, a super duty Chevy 350 HP, 5.7 litre engine producing 390 lb-ft of torque. EPA mileage rated at 25 mpg highway, the Firehawk did 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and turned in a 107 mph trap speed with an ET of 13.2 seconds (only 0.1 second slower than the 405 HP ZR-1 Corvette). The Firehawk met all emission standards and came with standard warranty. This is muscle in the 60’s and 70’s tradition. The 1993-1995 Firebird was offered in a Formula and Trans Am version with the LT1, 275 HP engine. The Trans Am with 6 speed manual and 3.23 performance rear end turned 0-60 in 5.4 seconds with a 14.2 second 1/4 mile at 99 mph. The 1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula is offered with an LS1 engine rated at 320 HP (with the WS6 ram air option) and 345 lb-ft of torque.
Buick nudged back into the performance league in 1986 with the Buick Regal Grand National T-type coupe. The Grand National featured Buick’s 231 cid (3.8 litre), V6 in a 235 HP turbocharged, intercooled and SFI version. In 1987 the Grand National peaked with the 300 HP GNX. According to Buick, 0-60 performance for the GNX was 5.5 seconds with a 1/4 mile of 13.4 seconds and 104 mph. This is considerably better performance than the 1972 Buick GS-455 with 0-60 at 5.8 seconds and 1/4 mile of 14.1 seconds.
GNX owners, i will conceed. With both cars in stock form, the L98 would lose pretty bad to a GNX.

Last edited by Convert; 01-26-2002 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:33 AM

Here is a quote from that magazine:

The Camaro took a major hit in HP ratings during the 70’s and didnt start to make a comeback until the IROC-Z Camaros. In 1987 the IROC Camaro was available with the 5.7 litre, TPI, 225 HP, L98, engine. Performance was 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 14.5 second 1/4 mile. By 1992 maximum HP available increased to 245 HP. In 1993 the Z-28 Camaro was available with the optional LT1, 275 HP Vette engine upping performance to a Car and Driver reported 14 second flat 1/4 mile at 100 mph. Escalation in HP continues with a 320 HP engine available with a 6 speed manual transmission in the 1998 SS Camaro. My references have no 1/4 mile ET available for the ‘98 SS however it is safely in the muscle car bracket. The F-body cars offer the most muscle for the buck in the 90’s.
The Firebird began its comeback with the 1989 1/2 Trans Am offering a turbocharged Buick V6 engine rated at 250 HP. Car and Driver tested a car and found 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds and 1/4 mile ET of 13.9 seconds. In 1992 Firebird upped the performance ante considerably offering the Formula Firehawk available with RPO B4U, a super duty Chevy 350 HP, 5.7 litre engine producing 390 lb-ft of torque. EPA mileage rated at 25 mpg highway, the Firehawk did 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and turned in a 107 mph trap speed with an ET of 13.2 seconds (only 0.1 second slower than the 405 HP ZR-1 Corvette). The Firehawk met all emission standards and came with standard warranty. This is muscle in the 60’s and 70’s tradition. The 1993-1995 Firebird was offered in a Formula and Trans Am version with the LT1, 275 HP engine. The Trans Am with 6 speed manual and 3.23 performance rear end turned 0-60 in 5.4 seconds with a 14.2 second 1/4 mile at 99 mph. The 1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula is offered with an LS1 engine rated at 320 HP (with the WS6 ram air option) and 345 lb-ft of torque.
Buick nudged back into the performance league in 1986 with the Buick Regal Grand National T-type coupe. The Grand National featured Buick’s 231 cid (3.8 litre), V6 in a 235 HP turbocharged, intercooled and SFI version. In 1987 the Grand National peaked with the 300 HP GNX. According to Buick, 0-60 performance for the GNX was 5.5 seconds with a 1/4 mile of 13.4 seconds and 104 mph. This is considerably better performance than the 1972 Buick GS-455 with 0-60 at 5.8 seconds and 1/4 mile of 14.1 seconds.
GNX owners, i will conceed. With both cars in stock form, the L98 would lose pretty bad to a GNX.

Last edited by Convert; 01-26-2002 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:40 AM

compare apples to apples convert, your comparing a v-**6** to a 8, and the 6 is STILL faster, doesnt that say something? weres the 2.8 and 3.1 comparisons?
I agree... that is one hell of a six. Even i'd be proud to drive it. I am just stating that this is not some KILL ALL SUPERCAR!! The arrogance of most GN drivers makes me sick. It is a fast car, but it ain't no Diablo or Formula 1 racer. It is a mid 80's muscle car, just like the L98 Fbody's and Vette's. It responds better to mods, but also is ugly as sin, and can't handle for ****. Those are some pretty serious trade off's in my book. In fact, even a lot of the guys at turbobuick.com call their car's 'bricks'. I think that most guys on this board would not trade their L98 Fbody's in for a GN. I know i wouldn't.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:20 AM
Supreme Member

yeah maybe not trade there l98 car

but I can see ppl trying to trade there l98 motor for the GN motor and keep the same car
Old 01-26-2002, 04:26 AM

Yeah, i am one of those people. I want a TIROC (Turbo IROC). That would be so cool. I would have the best of both worlds. Hey, anyone know where i can buy the 3.8 Turbo? I would probably not trade my L98, because trading an 8 for a 6 sounds crazy to me, but i would like that 6 in my car (i would just tell people it was an eight )
Old 01-26-2002, 04:30 AM
Supreme Member

hey man no need to think the 6 is worse then an 8

shoot I dont have any

Quick Reply: Grand National vs '89 350 IROC