TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help sick bird

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help sick bird

Hey guys, I'm a new member here, I have read alot here but never posted till now.

ANYWHO.... I have a problem with my 89 Formula 350 Here is the rundown:

About a month ago I noticed a hesitation, I changed the fuel filter right away. Didn't seem to help. (if anything it got worse) I lived with it for a while. Then it got to the point where it was almost impossible to pull out in traffic as it would spit and sputter nearly stalling every time. Along with this there is a surge and WOT throughout the RPM range from 3-5 grand. I took it to a shop just to have them hook it up on the analyzer and tell me whats wrong so I can fix it myself. The shop says its either the EGR valve or the Vacume Solenoid. So I went about driving it for a week or so with the EGR valve unplugged. It ran fine for about 2 weeks then all the sudden got really bad. It actually left me sit out of town. I finally unplugged the MAF and it started right back up. Ran better than it had for a while. So I went ahead and replaced the EGR Valve, Solenoid, and the MAF. Now I still have the same damn problem. except it has a new twist to it now. The car will not rev over 4-4200 rpm. It acts as if it is starving for gas or sucking air where it shouldn't. So I check the upper plenum for leaks( spray aresol carb cleaner on the seam and the engine changes idle speed. So I remove and replace the upper intake pelnum again and used some gasket sealant this time. Seems better for a while but once warm it starts the same thing again. It seems to be mostly just off idle with the hessitation and sometimes backfires through the carb. I think that means a lean condition if Im not mistaken. So at this point I am at a loss for what to do next. The car is totally bone stock and has about 80,000 miles on it. Ran great for 3 months after purchase untill all this started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-01-2002, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Please Help sick bird

Originally posted by L98Fromula
It seems to be mostly just off idle with the hessitation and sometimes backfires through the carb.

Your carb car has a MAF ?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:50 AM

My mistake....I meant it backfires through the intake. My TPI (l98) car DOES NOT HAVE A CARB just so nobody else gets confused on what the L98 TPI engine is.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2002, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel pressure?

Have you checked your fuel pressure? could be a weak fuel pump on its last leg.