TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN: John Millican

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:53 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ATTN: John Millican

I may be having trouble getting my email to your address. I have a few questions about the LT1 intake swap. Below is the email I sent early this week....

Looks like you have a good thing going with this LT1 intake swap. I'm loving my TPI motor for the power in the lower rpms, but in the upper rpms my engine is a dog. I'm running 14.04 in the 1/4mile with a 1.9sec 60ft. I have no traction problems because the motor is in my S-10 with All Wheel Drive (taken from a GMC Typhoon).

Here's my current setup:
355 (very low miles), built pretty much back to stock...the only difference is that it has "vette pistons", whatever that's supposed to mean?
Accel High Flow Base
AS&M Large Runners
Ported Plenum
52MM Edelbrock TB
TPIS's AFPR
Sanderson Headers
Stock Heads and Cam

If I put this LT1 intake on my motor, what kind of gains will I see? Will my motor be a dog in the lower RPMs? Like I said, my drivetrain can handle a lot of low end torque with no wheel slip. I'm considering changing at least the cam if and when I install the LT1 intake. What sort of gains should I expect there? (Of course that depends on the cam...let me know what you recommend). If I change out cam and heads with the LT1 intake, what should I expect from that?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Mike,

I truely hate to predict what someone else's car/truck will do with my intake on it. All I can tell you is firsthand knowledge of what improvements I have seen in my personal car.
I used to have a carbed 305 (LG4) in my camaro then I got a built 383 stroker with aluminum heads and a factory TPI setup. The power down low was awesome and you couldn't wipe the grin off my face for weeks. I muct have looked very funny to people driving around with a stupid grin like that.
Then one day I was tooling through the TPIS catalog and saw the Miniram. I looked close and thought "that looks JUST like a LT1 intake, I wonder......".

Well I did the swap and low and behold the 5000 rpm barrier I had was GONE! Not barely gone but totally left behind. My car pulls so hard now all the way past 6500 rpm I hate shifting it then but I know I have to for the power to stay for the next gear.

At the track I may not get the jump on people but I do chase them down in a hurry and pass most cars halfway down the track. I did loose some low end TQ but not enough to worry about. I still have trouble hooking up.

My ET needs work but my MPH netted a gain of 5 mph which equals roughly to 40-50 rear wheel HP increase just the intake alone. I like it!

Best ET in the 1/4 so far was 13.4 @ 106 mph, this was in second gear not even getting into 3rd due to tranny trouble last fall. I crossed the line coasting at 7300 rpm. That has since been fixed but I havn't made it back to the track yet to see the new numbers.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:46 AM
TGO Supporter

Sounds good

I'm currently looking for an LT1 intake with fuel rails and injectors to send to you for the necessary modifications. It seems to be a win/win situation....I'll be able to part out my existing setup for more $$$ than it'll cost for the LT1 intake swap...and that makes sense to me. Hopefully with the extra cash from my existing TPI setup, I can buy a new cam.

This is all good timing...my truck was recently flat-bedded 74 miles from a somewhat local drag strip because a wire from the MAF power relay to the MAF (the red one), grounded out behind my block. I have to pull the motor to fix it. Meanwhile I'll get the tranny rebuild...1st to 2nd isn't so good anymore.

How long is the turn-around time to get those intakes done? Thanks for the info...I'll be in touch.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Just incase you didnt know, John also offers a complete Intake/Fuel Rail package for $400... thats a pretty damn good price!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Yup, I did see that on his website.

I'm looking for a complete setup with injectors.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
I've got stock LT1 injectors (24 lbs) available too. They will be added to the order page as well soon.
I clean and test each injector as well off the car.