TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold leaking coolant again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL @ Britton. Glad to see its all resolved, now I only hope that after all the bloodshed, that the original poster fixed his problem!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Yeah, I hope everything worked out with the gaskets. This topic got a little off the subject, hehehe, just a tad.

I'll be over on SE sometime tonight to say what I've got to say. It won't be anthing bad, promise.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:43 PM

I believe the harshness is over.. and I apologize for the highjacking of this thread.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44
Well I actually haven't put the intake manifold back on yet. This is kind of amusing sifting through all this. There are some good ideas to seal it up good.

Does anyone know how to keep the gaskets in place when you put the manifold on?

Also the shop manual says to over tighten the intake manifold bolts down first to seat the manifold then back the bolts off to the correct torque spec. Should I do this?
Old 01-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 89 Iroc Z
Does anyone know how to keep the gaskets in place when you put the manifold on?
I use permatex hitack to hold them.

Also the shop manual says to over tighten the intake manifold bolts down first to seat the manifold then back the bolts off to the correct torque spec. Should I do this?
Never heard of over torquing the manifold and backing it off. I'd be afraid of breaking one of the end ears off of the manifold by over torquing it, I just go to the max specified torque, 45 ft/lbs according to chiltons.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:00 PM

I agree. I've heard that tack stuff is pretty good to hold the gaskets in place. I know when I replaced mine they were a royal pain to stay put.

I haven't ever heard of over-torquing either. I agree with Morley.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:25 PM

What manual says to over torque it? Thats VERY ODD. For one, the gasket seals by being compressed to fit irregularites of the mating surface. Once the gasket is compressed, it won't "bounce back", it stays compressed. A gasket that has been torqued down and then eased up on should go in the trash. Not to mention overtorqueing could result in broken bolts, cracked intakes and pulled threads Just torque to specs in the proper sequence, then go over once more. You will start in the center bolts and then work your way outward. By the time you get done w/ the outside bolts, it will pull the manifold down furter and the center bolts will feel loose, but its not the same as backing them off.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HEY Odyssey ive really got you now why dont you quit being a pile of **** and send my friend the intake he sent you $385 for back on oct 26th that you already cashed!!!!!! he bought it off of u on ebay now you have the same intake on the classifieds here
GUYS DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY HES A CROOK im going after him the reason im so sure this is the same guy is i about bought the one here on thirdgen till he sent me his name and address and its the same as the one we sent the 385 to on ebay hes now barred on ebay his name is Edmond Indre here is the email he sent me jus 10 mins ago
Well the shipping comes out to 17 dollars for UPS ground service. I already have the box that John sent it to me in so that wont be a problem.
My name and address is Edmond Indre at 3428 Corona Del Mar, Las Vegas, NV 89108
heres the e,mail with his address after we won it on ebay How are ya ? My address is 3428 Corona Del Mar, Las Vegas, NV 89108 and my
>>name is Edmond Indre. The fuel lines cost me 80 dollars, but I'll oferr
>>them to you for 60. They're still brand new, never used, no fuel ever ran
>>through them. and heres the link to the ebay auction i won http://64.4.8.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...em%3d1868977281
his other email is bluetide@TideFans.com his email now is z28@pclv.com any info from you guys to help us with him would be greatly apprecated we jus want our money back now
Edmond Indre?? You sonofabitch!!!! You still owe me $160 for that cam you never sent!! Who wants more Email addresses for this thief??? euro@lvcm.com, z28@lvcm.com, blackened@altavista.com, do I have to name more?!?! I paid with Pay Pal and never got my money back (those ***** at pay pal are useless as well) Turns out he had a negative balance on his account already (probably from screwing yet another person) so pay pal decided they couldn't do anything about it. I have Emails, I have reciepts and I want my moeny.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do I smell a Lynch mob forming??
Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 AM

This thread is becoming the most hijacked one I've ever seen.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by GMmuscleman
I agree. I've heard that tack stuff is pretty good to hold the gaskets in place. I know when I replaced mine they were a royal pain to stay put.

I haven't ever heard of over-torquing either. I agree with Morley.
i don't think they actually say "overtorque", but i'd guess what they're talking about is torque-to-yield, in which case backing them up _just a little_ shouldn't really hurt (like 1/12 to 1/8 turn) but any more than that is only going to cause problems. if you've actually overtorqued the bolts too much, you might want to get new ones. once you yield materials significantly, it's a permanent (non-elastic) deformation, so you're not necessarily going to have a repeatable process after doing this. basically, in the normal, elastic, linear range, the amount of torque on the bolt head is going to be in some proportion to what force it is pushing down with, but once you yield it the force downward tends to level off some. (i know i'm kinda mixing the technical and simple explanations here, but the basic point is that if you yield them too much or too many times, you might not be getting an even set of sealing forces around your manifold - and buying some new bolts is way cheaper than buying a new manifold. also, i'd go with a sealer as well)
Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Roch-4bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Normal
Re: intake manifold leaking coolant again...

Joni Loves ChaChi