TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap 350 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
cheap 350 build

Ok...Im sure you get this all the time, but this will be my first engine build so I need some suggestions and comments. I have an 88 GTA with a 350 tpi in it now and 3.27 posi. A few days ago the motor went and not sure what the problem is yet, but I know I will have to rebuild the motor. It was suggested to me in another post that my bottom end is probably shot because of what happened to it (very loud knocking and stalling soon after startup). He suggested I should get a 96-97 vortec truck engine block and use my existing iron L98 heads to put on top. I should be able to get a block for real cheap since I have a good connection for it I think. I plan on using my tpi for now and get a HSR at a later date. Now this is where the questions start coming in. Will the ZZ4 cam be a good one to put in this motor to give a nice boost of power? I plan to port the intake, runners, etc etc. I also want to port the heads too. This will remain a daily driver but I still want some real nice power to use around the street/highway as well. The torque convertor will also have to remain stock for the time being because of money issues. So how big of a cam can I go without having to get a new TC and chip? Does anyone think I should just keep the vortec heads on too and skip the TPI stuff? Im really set on getting the HSR eventually so Im kinda thinking it would be best just to slap the ported L98's back on. I only have about $1200 right now to work with, so I want to make it as cheap as possible for now. I just need my baby back on the road...w/ some better power too mind you. So there is alot of questions there but I dont know what to do since it is my first build, and I dont know what all I will need to do and have. My dad is good with engines but I just dont want to mess up anything by not checking clearances etc. I also plan to use as much stuff as I can from my old engine to save on some cost unless of course the part failed with whatever went wrong in my engine. Let me know if there are any questions or things that need specified. Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:26 AM

BTW I already have hooker super comps and 3" flowmaster exhaust too so Im thinking this setup should prove pretty good for me. I want the good torque for driving around town, but every once in a while be able to run with some cars on the highway as well. So I guess that means I want it to pull to around 5500-6000. I know porting the TPI intake etc may not get me that far, but with the HSR later I'll be there. So I can sacrafice some performace right now. Just dont want to sacrafice any performance of the engine dying again. This is rather depressing right now not being able to drive this car in the summer. These cars get the looks everytime and I guess Im gonna have to deal without them for a while. Too bad I just turned 21 yesterday and cant pimp my ride to the bars every once in a while. hehe

BTW moderators...if this would be better in the motor swap board then put it there. I just thought I would get more people looking/responding in this one, which I really hope for.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:19 AM

Well I did a search on the boards and it sounds like that wont be too bad of a setup. Does anyone on the boards have a setup basically the same? Vortec base, ported iron L98 heads, ZZ4 cam w/either 1.5 or 1.6 rockers, and a ported TPI? AND that setup with an HSR? Does anyone have hp/tq numbers for each of those too? Im just curious as to around what I'd be making and how well it will drive for street and the occasional stomping of some imports on highway or stop. BTW...im staying cheap so dont tell me to go all out or buy AFR 190's. Believe me, I would LOVE to have a 406 w/ AFR heads etc but I dont have near the budget. Geez, come to think of it, I would only be able to buy heads and that is it. O well, some day. So can someone leave me some feedback or constructive critizism here? Kinda funny I have the only 3 posts in my topic.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume by saying vortec base, you mean the vortec shortblock you were referring to in your original post. There would be no problem porting the **** out of your L98 heads and using the ZZ4 cam, I think a nicer set up for the time being would be the vortec heads with a new TPI baseplate that would fit them,(if you werent set on a HSR) either way with the lift of the ZZ4 Cam you would need new springs and possibly the vavle guide bosses milled a little to accomodate the higher lift, (definitely with the vortec heads) . Plenty of people are running the ZZ4 cam on the boards and it seems to be a pretty good performer even with a stock TPI unit. As for the HP/ TQ #s you are looking for, I cant help you there but if you do enough searches on these boards you should find more answers.
Good Luck!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Originally posted by SanitariumTour0
Too bad I just turned 21 yesterday and cant pimp my ride to the bars every once in a while. hehe
Count your blessings... For my 21st birthday (over 10 years ago), I got taken to the hospital with pneumonia and thought I was on my death bed! 3 weeks later I was out of the hospital, a month after that I was off of meds and able to drink... FINALLY!!!

Anyway, it sounds like you'll have a nice little runner on your hands with the proposed set up on the 350. I think having the Vortec block is a bit of a waste though if you're not going to use the Vortec heads (and new Vortec baseplate needed for TPI). Unless you're dead set on the Holley intake, I'd use the Vortec heads for the budget build you're starting. There's an easy 30 HP if you port them over the stock L98 heads. For the money spent, I think the heads will be better than the SR unless you're going to put on more mods along with the SR set up at that later date.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:59 AM

Car: 1988 iroc-z all stock for now
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: 700R4 3.42 posi rear
try lookin for the L31 truck motor (98-01) in the boneyards or want ads order the vortec TPI base manifold LT4 hot cam kit which will give you alot more power and make the ride alotta fun