TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does it ever end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
does it ever end?

Ok. finally got this monster running. going 2000 rpm to break in the cam.. goes about 5 min.. then.. silence. nothing. dies right there. so I was thinking that it was because it went into closed loop and the chip I had made wasn't any good. So, I unplugged the prom, and nothing happened. No SES light, no fan running. It will crank, but the fuel pump won't run. So again, I thought about trying to see if there was a code or something. I jumped A/B, and nothing happened, no SES light at all. So I changed the ECM and tried it again, still the same thing. I tried applying 12V to the fuel pump, nothing. I checked the fuses, nothing. So I started pulling out the wiring harness to see if maybe I had burned a wire or something, nothing seem to be wrong with the wiring.

oh yeah. one more thing. I have to hold the coil wire above the distributor to make it work. I think my coil isn't any good anymore, not giving me a hot enough spark to work. I checked the plugs and they're all clean.

any ideas?

Last edited by mmcdjs; 05-18-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Have you verified that the battery has a charge? Your alternator may not be charging, and the battery ran out of juice.

Also might want to check the fusable links by the starter. The main power goes from the battery to the main starter terminal, and it branches out to all the different vehicle circuits from there. Maybe you pinched them while reassembling the engine, or they are laying on the manifold or block.

You also should have a fuse somewhere by the battery that protects both the ECM and the fuel pump. Might want to dig that out as well. On my TPI, it's mounted right to the side of the fenderwell.

All the engine grounds are good and tight?

If it was running fine and then just died, I'd check out the fusable links first.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Oh, if you are holding the coil wire above the coil and it is working, I'd look elsewhere for your problem. If spark can jump the gap you are giving it, it's a definate indication that the coil is good.

I'd check out the wiring issues I pointed out in the above post. If the primary ignition voltage isn't strong, the secondary ignition side is going to be even weaker.