TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle and wiring problem after eng swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle and wiring problem after eng swap

ok i have swaped out my 85 305 tpi to 87 350 tpi,well i have previously swap out the 305 with a 350 tpi out of a 85 vette and i had to use a harness out of a 86 tpi 305 inorder to run the 165 comp,but that harness is a single fan hei harness and now im converting to the 87 350 which came with the fact. harness.what i'm trying to do is convert my 85 irocz to an 87 irocz, the 87350 didnt come with a alt and all i have is the old stlyle alt and i 'm not too sure on what wire to jumper to battery and what to do with the other wire ? Is it for the ecm or ing. or voltage gage,can I just splice into the harness so I dont butcher up the wiring because I plan to order the high amp 140 alt because i have some big amps and my lights and voltage gage drops down pretty low,but noone stocks the org alt here and the would have to order it,I have the old alt on it now with it jumper to the back of the alt to battery but i don't have the brown wire hooked up to anything,that wouldn't cause it not to idle would it?The engine only has 42k org miles on it and it clean and wiring isn't oil logged at all it's all in good cond. it has been sitting in a garage for 5yrs or so.I have got it in and got it to start but i have to feather it do get it to stay running but the sec I get off of it,it will die like as if I just turned the ign. off.I have checked the timing and restabed the dist,reran the firing order,swapped out iac,every thing,this is the first time really messing with the external mounted coil type dist,I think i have every thing right but no other car to compare to,is the est the same as a 85,is the wiring from the firewall to the ecm the same.It acts like it not firing right i pulled the covers rotate till tdc is on 0 #1 valves both closeed and point cap to #1 and its stabbed correctly not 180 but it just doesn't idle at all and i have to work it to get it to cont to run? please help before it go crazy and jerk it out and put back in my vette 350 tpi,ran a 13.42 before i pulled it out cause of pan leak and then i ran across that 87 350 which is a roller center bolt head 350,so i thought i will just put the vette 350 w/tpi in my 87chevy shortwide truck,since i already have a painless wiring harness new in the box that i never used when i converted from the 85 305 to the vette 350 it didn't look factory and I would of had to relocate the maf relay bracket and put thre computer under the hood or something because i didn't know to order the longer one and never got around to sending it back.Anyways sorry for the book I just wrote if anyone has any info to help shine some light in my garage let me know please!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1972 LT1 Corvette
Engine: 350 HO
Transmission: M22 Heavy Duty 4 Spd
Axle/Gears: 336
Go here, maybe you'll find some help ECM drawings
Old 09-05-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
won't idle

the car will start but it just won't idle,do you think the injectors could have slugged-up?it's not storing any fault codes just 12.