TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Service

At the beginning of the summer (4 months ago), I began to disassemble my TPI unit in order to send it to Cruzin Performance for a TPI rebuilding service. The problem I ran into was that I could not get off 1 of the torx head bolts for the intake manifold. I now have to put it all back together, drive it to my buddies shop, and have the bolt cut and removed. Since my injectors have been sitting for 4 months, can I just put them back on and run them, or should I send them to be cleaned first?
Also, since the motor has been unstarted in 4 months, is there anything I should do to it before starting it? Someone told me I might want to put a teespoon of motor oil in the sparkplug holes to make sure the motor is properly lubricated for startup.

Sorry so long!
Thanks for any assistance,
Mike
86 Z28
305 TPI
Old 09-16-2000, 03:17 PM

the injectors dont need to be cleaned again,,, put some lube on the injector o-rings before installation. i would also change your oil ,and fill the gas tank with some high octane fuel. change your fuel filter too.

[This message has been edited by ron rizzotti (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old 09-17-2000, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I would think you could find more "portable" ways to remove the bolt, bring the solution to you. Which bolt is it?

I wouldn't worry about the restart if you have to take it somewhere....but be sure to remember the following.

1. Be sure to send the injectors to Rich and have him clean and balance them, it's worth it. Don't forget the cold start valve and he can also supply you with the gaskets you need at a fair price.
2. The rear driver and front passenger bolts on the top of the plenum "DO" go in at an angle, don't try to thread them straight....like i did...LOL (can you say heli-coil).
3. Replace the bolts with new ones...it's worth it. They are also different lengths, mark your pattern....if it's not too late.
4. Use anti-sieze on the re-install...that and new bolts may make your future go smoother.
5. Port your plenum while it's off, it's worth a few HP...(if you haven't already).
6. Consider using the factory GM o-rings even though Rich will provide you with new ones. GM's are beefier and they felt better on install.
6. Have patience.
Old 09-23-2000, 06:56 PM

Once Rich is done cleaning the injectors, he re-flushes them with a lubricant to keep the ball from sticking to the seat.

When you have the engine reassembled and if it won't start, try lightly tapping the injectors. This in most cases breaks loose the ball.

------------------
1989 T/A 5.7 WS6
1967 Camaro LS6 454