TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

I replaced the 350 in my 1988 Iroc with a 383 about 8 months ago. It has a ported plenum, modified MAF and adjustable fuel regulator althuogh it has the factory cam and injectors. It also has a chip by FASTCHIP, but it was bought for the 350. My problem is that when I floor it, it doesn't want to shift from first to second. It feels like it's bumping a rev limiter, but I don't have a limiter. I was told it could be the torque converter slipping. Is this true or is it something with the engine. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2000, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
You are probably going into valve float. Stock GM valvesprings can't take anything above like 5 or 5.5K before they start letting the valves float, and at a minimun, it will feel like a rev limiter, at worst, you could break a valvespring, bend a pushrod, etc...

Waycross, heh? We should hook up sometime, I'd like to see your car. Maybe in Jesup or something? Also, check out the website in my sig. Later.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

"I used to have a handle on life, but then I used it as a plunger and broke it" -The Wave

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA
'87 Trans Am-K&N,Cold air induction, SSM SFC, Boxed LCAs, 8mm Accel wires, Flowmaster, 16" GTA rims.
'97 Bonneville SSE

[This message has been edited by GMTech (edited October 01, 2000).]
Old 10-01-2000, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks GMTECH. I have taken the car back to the engine builder several times since the engine was rebuilt. One of the reasons is because it still smokes when I start it. He keeps claiming they just haven't sealed yet. Apparently the heads were not rebuilt correctly in the first place. A meeting would be great. I used to deliver Budweiser to Jesup, although I am in the process of moving to Brunswick. You can see my car at www.fbody.com/members/vandergrift/index.htm.
All of the info is pretty outdated though. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-02-2000, 05:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
Hasn't sealed yet, Huh? Who is this place?

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

"I used to have a handle on life, but then I used it as a plunger and broke it" -The Wave

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA
'87 Trans Am-K&N,Cold air induction, SSM SFC, Boxed LCAs, 8mm Accel wires, Flowmaster, 16" GTA rims.
'97 Bonneville SSE