TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel lines on conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel lines on conversion???

On my TPI convsersion, I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect rubber high pressure fuel and return lines to the fuel rails. I have been unable to find fittings that will screw on to the factory fittings and have a hose barb on the other end. I see three other options.

1. Cut off the factory connecors, flare the line and use a flare fitting to hose barb.

2. Cut off the factory connectors, use a compression fitting to hose barb.

3. Cut off the factory connectors, roughen and burr the outside of the steel line, slip as much as possible of the hose over the line, then use multiple hose clamps to secure it.

Of course, if anyone can tell me where to find the proper fittings to adapt the factory connectors to a hose barb, i'd just do that.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-07-2001, 10:43 PM

Found the correct solution myself. Accel makes a set of adapters that screws into the TPI fuel rail lines and gived you a -06 AN fitting, which I'm then going to adapt to 3/8" NPT and then to the appropriate hose barb

Old 04-08-2001, 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Cheaper yet, get fuel lines from a kunkyard from ANY fuel injected f-body, it doesn't matter v-6 or v-8. Most likely it'll be from a v-6 since they're so common. I did and they work great. Paid $15

------------------
86 Camaro Sport
383 Speed-O-Motive Crate Engine, Raptor 700R4 Tranmission, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G2's, 58mm Accel TB, 3.73 Auburn Pro, SLP Cold Air Induction and Headers, Dynomax Cat-back, Serpentine Belt Setup, Dual IROC Fans, Jamex springs, 16" IROC Rims, 36mm/24mm Sway Bars, Global West Steering Brace. Hotchkis Rear LCA's,Panhard Bar and SFC's.
My Camaro Project
Old 04-08-2001, 09:09 AM

I had thought about grabbing the lines from a junk yard, but didnt for 2 reasons. I'm running an inline fuel pump, so I'm not going to be using the stock line routing, so I'd end up cutting the lines anyway. Also, I'm in college and I drive home 4 hours on the weekends to work on the trans am, so I dont really have alot of time to go junkyarding.

These fittings are goign to work nicely I think.
Old 04-08-2001, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro-1LE
Engine: TPI(s)
Transmission: 5 speed (MM5, MK6)
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.73
I too looked at the Accel adapters. In the end, I went to the wrecker and took some fuel lines that had the correct saginaw ends to thread into the TPI fuel rail. From there, I could clamp fuel injection high pressure hose with the correct clamps. I have had no leaks to date (knock on wood) and I run my fuel pressure at 55psi.

I am also running an inline pump. My TPI is not in an F-body, so I had to custom run the fuel lines, pump, and filter. That was about the hardest part of the conversion.

Those AN connectors are *really* expensive.

Mark.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cfabe:
I had thought about grabbing the lines from a junk yard, but didnt for 2 reasons. I'm running an inline fuel pump, so I'm not going to be using the stock line routing, so I'd end up cutting the lines anyway. Also, I'm in college and I drive home 4 hours on the weekends to work on the trans am, so I dont really have alot of time to go junkyarding.

These fittings are goign to work nicely I think.
</font>

I respect your opinion, it's still very easy to run an in-line pump with stock fuel lines. I did the exact same thing, here's a pic of the perfect spot for the pump.

------------------
86 Camaro Sport
383 Speed-O-Motive Crate Engine, Raptor 700R4 Tranmission, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge G2's, 58mm Accel TB, 3.73 Auburn Pro, SLP Cold Air Induction and Headers, Dynomax Cat-back, Serpentine Belt Setup, Dual IROC Fans, Jamex springs, 16" IROC Rims, 36mm/24mm Sway Bars, Global West Steering Brace. Hotchkis Rear LCA's,Panhard Bar and SFC's.
My Camaro Project
Old 04-08-2001, 11:27 PM

I havent been crazy about the idea of making a high pressure junction by slipping rubber hose over plain steel line. On my lg4 - carb setup I had a fuel leak cause an engine fire, and that was just like 5psi or so. I feel much safer only slipping hose over a nice hose barb, espicially on the fuel pump output to fuel rail run. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I hate worrying about a corner i cut doing a job.

I was thinking of mounting the fuel pump low in the engine compartment someplace. Assuming I get it nice and low, will there be any problems with the pump pulling thru maybe 6 feet of the factory steel line and a little rubber line? I dont know what the pump is, but it looks exactly like a pump that I've seen for sale as a holley. All it says on the side is Max pressure 125 psi.